GO! Wash your Hands on Global handwashing day!

Posted on October 15th, 2008 by god

Arvind here in London bringing you news of Global Handwashing Day.

Is this for real or a joke? I kid you not – this is an occasion! It is certainly for real and do check out this video with its zany soundtrack to learn more how today’s message is being delivered across the world.

The guiding vision of Global Handwashing Day is to create a local and global culture of handwashing with soap. Although people around the world wash their hands with water, very few wash their hands with soap at the critical occasions, after a visit to the bathroom for example or is that just a guy thing?

This is not just a problem in the developing world but a world wide one. Only this morning a report revealed how men in Newcastle, UK are the dirtiest in the land – they certainly don’t smell of flowers!

Experts have stressed the importance of hand hygiene for preventing illness and there is actually an art to this daily process many of us rush through if at all!

I saw this poster at a hospital ward detailing how to wash your hands:-

Clean hands save lives.

So please do spread the word about Global Handwashing Day.

Having typed up this post, I am now off to wash my hands.

After all the average keyboard is home to billions of bacteria :-(

Please do share your tips about hands hygiene in general. At what point does a regular handwash lead to the likes of an obsessive compulsive disorder where everything has to be spotlessly clean?

Do the people where you live smell of flowers or not and would you say there was much difference between male & female hand washing habits or should be not GO! there?!

HAPPY HANDWASHING DAY to all at GO! Smell the flowers.

36 Responses to “GO! Wash your Hands on Global handwashing day!”

1. A/C says:

An interesting iniative…
    and so simple use soap…

SO long as it is not overused, such as everytime you touch something such as your keyboard, this sort of behaviour can be harmful to your health… but after the bathroom, before preparing food, before eating…. etc..
    nice post…
    thanks for letting us know….

2. Everyone should wash their hands after using the facilities in the restroom. Wash with warm water and SOAP!!! This is regardless of gender. I always have a paper towel ready to turn things off, get more towels, and to open and close the door. I don’t touch anything once my hands are washed. My feet and paper towels become friends!

My mother heard that your should wash your hands the length of time it take you to sing the traditional Happy Birthday song. I think, it is in other countries the song is traditional as well.

I never use a pen provided for me. I use my own.

After using a common computer, telephone, atm or anything public, I either wash my hands or use a sanitizer. I should wash my hands before and after using my computer, but don’t.

3. Gareth in Thailand says:

Come on Arvind, having to wash your hands after being on your PC has nothing to do with the germs on the keyboard, more likely the other web site you’re visitnig, http://www.clam-jousting-nympho-nuns.com

4. Kathleen says:

Arvind,

Great message. I mention handwashing all the time for disease prevention. I just wrote an article about same -

Hand Washing Better than Vitamin C for Cold Prevention

5. Kathleen says:

Oh – I didn’t answer your questions.

I don’t think either men or women wash their hands regularly enough. It can become obsessive, of course, My sister plays that joke on me – she sits down with the family, looks at me and says “I have to go wash my hands” – comes back, goes to wash again. It usually takes my watching this about four times to realize she’s “playing” an OCD game – or is she???

6. Emma says:

Spooky timing Arvind!

I was having a similar conversation with a friend yesterday! I travelled to Belgium to be with her after her first dose of Chemo therapy and were talking about the things she has been advised to do or not do by her oncologist. One of them is not to have towels to dry your hands on because of the spread of germs. So even if you wash your hands thoroughly, you will still leave germs on the towels.(Chemo reduces your immune system so you are more prone to picking up infections)

So now, throughout the house, she has the sanitising hand wash that needs no water. it is also antibacterial and there is no need to dry your hands on a towel.

If we could see the germs that are around us, I think we would freak out. And then again comes the argument for not killing all the germs so that we can build up our immune system!

7. Svasti says:

You know what they say about the complimentary bar nuts… don’t touch em coz of all the people who stick their grubby unwashed hands in after going to the loo. Eeeew!!!

Just as an aside, here in Australia it was National Ride to Work Day! Trying to encourage people to leave the cars behind and commute to work via bike.

• Emma says:

Eeeew. They did a test once of all the substances found in a bowl of complimentary bar nuts and the results were horrifying.

Male urine was high on the agenda and I have never touched any since, unless i see them coume out of the packet before they aree handed to me.

So men, Go! wash your hands.

8. Jim says:

Thanks for spreading the word Arvind :-)

I have seen men leave the bathroom having not bothered to wash n GO! – some just don’t bother.

However, I was told onces that there are more germs on bars of soaps in public places (trainstations, football grounds, bars) than on the floor itself. Maybe that why the hand dispensers have taken off?

Rubber glovers, anyone.

• Gareth in Thailand says:

Jim,
      How many footy grounds have soap in the toilets, really, come on be real will you.
      Walk on, walk on
      with soap up your arse
      and you’ll never walk again
      you’ll never walk again
      Kopites are gob shites
      Kopites are gob shites

9. moooooog35 says:

Man…people with OCD are gonna have a field day with this one.

10. Purple13 says:

I did have a compulsive thing with hand washing – washing and washing them sometimes after really trivial things like holding railings as i walked, i wouldn’t eat ice creams at the seaside unless it was on a stick etc.

Eventually in my 20′s, I forced myself to stop counting how many times i’d rubbed my hands together etc and kept telling myself i was being silly. Now, although ‘m fastidious about hand washing , i don’t count and don;t take all day! although if i’ve handled the lid of a rubbish bin at home, then i’d wash my hands still before eating or preparing food.

Toilet doors in public places are handled with one finger – you develop good finger muscles believe me.

Perhaps I’m not over my obsession as much as i think?

A couple of years ago, my dad had some emergency surgery – he was in a right state! We made a point of every visit washing our hands with the cleansing gel on the ward doors but it was amazing how many didn’t.

• Ange says:

I can’t not wash my hands after visiting the bathroom. As I was reading your comment Jonathan, I was reminded of Jack Nicholson in “As Good As It Gets” with all his compulsions, LOL. Good to hear your not as compulsive anymore. It can take a lot of energy out of you for doing so.

11. Christa says:

Do Buddhist wash their hands?

Isn’t killing, even bacteria, wrong? hummmmmmmmmmm

…..and seriously, World Hand Washing Day? OMG – now I’ve seen it all.

Can’t help but think the next thing we’ll see is World Nose Picking Prevention Day. LOL.

12. Christa says:

I worked in the restaurant business for 10 years and I can tell you most of them DON’T wash their hands. Hate to say it but it’s true.

I’m not saying hand washing is a bad thing mind you, spreading disease is never good but in reality few folks scrub down like a surgeon.

• Spread of Hepatitis…can’t remember which one.

Oh, I am back from surgery and sleepy, but can read a little bit, answer then go back to sleep. It went well, can’t remember what I was told…my husband was there, so they talked to him. I’ll know more when I see the surgeon next week. Pain meds…taking very soon. Vicodin…then, more sleep. Thanks everyone. I washed my hands everytime I went to the restroom and didn’t touch any door handles. Watched the hosptial staff wash their hands too and use gloves.

• Emma says:

Love the avatar Christa!

13. RYK says:

Fantastic and timely post Arvind, it great that you highlighted this issue, which is a of huge importance. Washing hands like brushing teeth seems trivial, but these simple steps ensure good hygiene and keep many diseases away.

• Arvind says:

Thanks RYK – I know how big the problem is in India of all places.

Everytime I visit Nirvana School (www.NirvanaSchool.org), I always have to remind the kids and teachers about washing and hygiene :-)

• Urban Pagan says:

so hygiene is ‘trivial’ to you Dev?? oh dear. its no wonder there is so much disease in india. do the amputee beggars and child prozzies worry about their teeth? or do they worry about the injustice of the archaic caste system for the haves and have nots. India – more millionaires than the UK but a load more poverty- can you sleep at night? of course you can- you have a few quid so are no doubt numb to it all.

14. i*maginate says:

It’s a weird campaign to hear of, but nevtheless I love purchasing new brands of handwashes!

Love having hands smell of strawberry or satsuma hehehe…occitane almond is one of my faves. If I had a husband, I’d massage the essential parts! hehe.

15. 7 Steps to Proper Hand Hygiene…

Hand hygiene saves lives” is a slogan used in a campaign by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to encourage proper hand hygiene in the healthcare setting.  However, exercising proper hand hygiene in a home, school, or work enviro…

16. Kam Soroka says:

I don’t normally post to blogs but I enjoyed this post so keep up the good work. -cheers-

17. google.com says:

Whats up this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or
    if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get advice
    from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

Also visit my web page; seo Google – google.com,
    google.com´s last [type] ..google.com

18. Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider
    worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the
    top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. Thanks
    http://enjoyish.com/´s last [type] ..http://enjoyish.com/

19. pinterest says:

In fact social networks have revolutionized our lives by incorporating all
    the basic elements of a person’s social life in one place.

Founded in March 2010, Pinterest has become
    the fastest-growing social media site on the web,
    gaining 145% more users since January 2012 alone.
    It does mean figuring out where your target audience is
    engaging (social networking sites) and developing a strategy for how you’re
    going to reach them.