I heard this the other day and had to look into it… when I found that it is true….. decided I needed to share it… so here GOes!
We all know the new environmentally friendly Lightbulbs are Flourescent dont we!
Well if you didn’t you do now….
Flourescent Lighting has various health effects such as increase in siezures in some
epileptics, But my concern is a little more far reaching.
Part of Process used in lighting these bulbs involves the use of mercury, yes the nasty heavy metal that accumilates in our bodies and does awful thing, remember the Mad Hatter. Mercury can also damage the kidneys and liver, and in sufficient quantities can cause death.
I hear you saying it ok is inside the light? all chemicals and Gasses are contained within the glass, yes! I agree, but Have you broken one while pushing it in the socket?
Dropped one on the floor?
Apparently you are suppose to dispose of these bulbs at appropriate places,
such as toxic waste dumps, and special collection areas, I dont have any toxic waste disposal areas near me, thank god do you?
When one of these bulbs breaks a certain amount of the mercury is vapourised into
ultra fine particles which we can breathe in. Each bulb contains between 5 and 6 milligrams of mercury, not alot remember it is an accumilative chemical.
Rising use of these lights and Governments fazing out if incandescent globes has the
many of the worlds scientists and EPA’s concerned
For the full news report from reuters Please Visit I Want to Breathe or go directly to Mercury in Energy Saving Bulbs has Scientists Worried
I do need to ask with the millions of these lights being sold world wide,
did you know about any health implications? Are they worth the risk?
Is there any health warnings or proper disposal instructions on the packets?
There isnt any here!