GO! Check out this TV Advert judged offensive to Christians!

Posted on March 12th, 2008 by god

GHD Hair Products Thy Will Be Done

Arvind here with some breaking news in the UK about a TV advert which has been banned as it has been deemed offensive to Christians.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has said that the above ad for ghd IV hair styling equipment could cause “serious offence” and must not be screened again.

Check out the above ad whilst you still can :-)

The advert for hair stylers featured eroticised female imagery and an extract from the Lord’s Prayer – it juxtaposed the words ‘thy will be done’ alongside erotic images of women accompanied by “predatory” text.

The ASA found that the eroticised images of women in conjunction with religious symbols, the use of the phrase from the Lord’s Prayer and the stylised letter ‘t’, which resembles the Christian cross, were likely to cause serious offence, particularly to Christians.

how does my hair look?!

There has recently been some serious debate on Flowers about the value and merits of different religions especially Islam.

So what do you think of this advert – and have we now gone too far with this TV advert ban?

Are Christians being over-sensitive or are we just pandering to them?

Do share – in the healthiest way possible of course :-)

does this offend?

43 Responses to “GO! Check out this TV Advert judged offensive to Christians!”

1. Urban Pagan says:

All religions are over-sensitive

if it gets up the nose of them then great

whatever happened to free speech and freedom of thought?

if people are offended by n advert/ film/ cartoon then don’t read or look at them. simple really.

and besides if they are real christians surely they will forgive us all anyway?

• arvind says:

If they are REAL christians, would they even be watching TV or going to movies?

arvind’s last blog post..Get my Book – and only Pay What YOU Like!

• Emma F says:

What’s the difference between a ‘real’ and a ‘non-real’ Christian?

• arvind says:

“Real” Christians to me are those who follow the bible in their daily lives and not just go to church on Sundays wearing their best outfits all for show.

arvind’s last blog post..Get my Book – and only Pay What YOU Like!

• Amber says:

To me, it is one who follows Jesus’ ideals: Love of neighbors, Love of God over Man, and Kindness to all.

Church and Bible weren’t there when Jesus was teaching – they are trappings of man as far as I am concerned – especially how many times it has been rewritten!

Amber’s last blog post..The Wild Hunt Blog: A modern Pagan perspective.

• David S says:

The unsurprising thing is that you don’t have to be religious to uphold the very honourable values of most religions’ ethics. in particular the 3in1 (Islam, Xtianity & Judaism), Bhuddism & Hindu.

Sanctimoniously yours,

David S

• Bridget Jones says:

Is Rex Stormont back?! 8)

• David S says:

Nah, ‘parently he died on New Year’s Eve. However the sadness was such that it turned out to be, as far as I know, the only censored bit of GSTF to date.

Mrs Rex wrote a heart felt post, using the access her husband’s founder priviledge, to announce the untimely death of Mr Rex Stormont. However within less than one hour it was gone, removed by aliens (perhaps).

The reason?

Well, apparently people really do die in real life……….. and therefore it might be distasteful, death that is.

And let’s face it, they’re right, I don’t want to die, just yet.

• And we don’t want you to die either David, not just yet, not for a long time! :))

Bridget Jones’s last blog post..This is how it all started..

2. aussiecynic says:

With my paintings I have always loved it when people got offended… I did one at the start of the Iraq war.. with the White House sitting on top of Nuclear Bomb cloud, and Picassos Peace dove flying upside drapped in the star Spangled Banner… among other things on a canvas board 1 metre be half.. presented it along with my more trtaditional works…. hehehe.. the panel hated it and asked me why I was smiling at their disgussed ( I must point out that the painting was actually said be very good it was my subject matter they didnt like) I told them I was so glad to get my feelings and opinions across in such a way that made them feel it…. I got a distinction for that one painting….
    Perhaps looked at in the same way this advert my well get people thinking about how they feel on the subjects of religion, censorship and free speech and perhaps they will then see the otherside of thecoin as when other faiths and races take offence… but I doubt it.. because they will never see it and therefore never have the chance….

aussiecynic’s last blog post..Blog Idol get your Entries in quick!

3. Bo Snr says:

As a Christian I am not offended by this advert.

By the way Jim and Em why is Flickr banned in Dubai ??

4. Bo Snr says:

Did I ever ban anyone from The Butchers ??

• Jim & Em says:

For other viewers Bo Snr refers to a pub in North Wales he did a fine job of running called The Butchers Arms.

Its not Butchers as in meat.

Although the pickled eggs did take some beating as did the cask ale.

5. Bridget Jones says:

I can’t play the video, it won’t ‘open’. SOS!

Arvind, I see you’ve got the knack on how to get 30+ comments mate ha! ;)

6. Emma F says:

I’m a Christian and I’m not offended by this.

I wonder if the people who say they are offended by things like this feel they somehow have to stick up for God.

He is perfectly capable of sticking up for himself.

So – watch out for un-explained fires/lightning strikes/pillars of salt/locust swarms near ghd IV. You will then know that God is offended.

GHD have used this advertising campaign for the last few years. Apparently this time they have over stepped the mark.

So the christians that are offended, are they going to stop using GHD’s and boycott hairdressers that use them?

Me thinks not.

8. Gareth In China says:

I can’t access bbc.co.uk/news. Banned in China. So can someone tell me was it actually Christians or the ASA on its own being over sensitive and barmy?
    This happens a lot, quango’s making a ruling on behalf of a section of the community.

• Emma F says:

Extract from the bbc news article:

The Archdeacon of Liverpool was among 23 people who complained about the ad.

So – there you have it.

• arvind says:

Gareth,

Just for you, here is all the text from the BBC page:-

A TV advert for hair stylers featuring eroticised female imagery and an extract from the Lord’s Prayer has been deemed offensive to Christians.

The Advertising Standards Authority said the ad for ghd IV hair styling equipment could cause “serious offence” and must not be screened again.

The advert juxtaposed the words ‘thy will be done’ alongside erotic images of women accompanied by predatory text.

The Archdeacon of Liverpool was among 23 people who complained about the ad.

Bradford-based advertising agency Jemella said it had been using the same slogan for seven years, but the ASA said it had overstepped the mark.

The first advert for the ghd IV hair styling equipment showed a woman wearing lingerie, sitting on the edge of a bed, clasping rosary beads.

As she looks up, the text on the screen reads ‘May my new curls make her feel choked with jealousy’.

The text is replaced with the words ‘ghd IV thy will be done’, then ‘ghd. A new religion for hair’.

The letter ‘t’ in ‘thy’ closely resembles the Christian cross.

The stylised use of the letter ‘t’ was considered offensive

In its defence, Jemella argued that biblical phrases were in common usage and had been used in previous advertising.

It acknowledged that a small number of Christians might object to the adverts, but said it did not believe they would cause widespread or serious offence.

The agency also pointed out that it had used the strap line ‘a new religion for hair’ for several years.

But the ASA found that the eroticised images of women in conjunction with religious symbols, the use of the phrase from the Lord’s Prayer and the stylised letter ‘t’ were likely to cause serious offence, particularly to Christians.

So there you have it, Gareth :-)
      arvind’s last blog post..Get my Book – and only Pay What YOU Like!

• Gareth In China says:

Well in that case the Archdeacon of Liverpool needs to go to Goodison on a Saturday afternoon to here how many people shout Jesus or Christ almighty when someone fluffs a shot or performs a bad tackle. After that he could spend half an hour in the Wilmslow Arms and hear some more choice expletives.

What these muppets don’t understand is that he will have put more poeple off attending his church than could ever be offended by a soft arsed advert. Considering dwindling congregations are one of their prime concerns it just strikes me as a bit of an own goal.

Couldn’t give a toss about the advert, if you buy a product based purely on the facts/information contained in adverts then more fool you.

9. Amber says:

I don’t find it offensive, but neither am I Christian.

They should quit their belly-aching! It really isn’t a big deal. Like it was said above: GOD can stick up for himself/herself/itself!!

Amber’s last blog post..The Wild Hunt Blog: A modern Pagan perspective.

10. Rufus says:

Darlings –
    It’s propaganda! Genius!
    Offensive? Puhleez.
    And if it is truly offensive to the three fundamental xians who complained, it’s because they’re not getting laid. They must have bad hair. Really, it’s not how you feel, it’s how you LOOK!
    ———
    On a note much less confrontational (or more, depending on perception) this is why I love that poster: Jesus, save me from your followers.

Rufus’s last blog post..Lake Erie, and other sinister thoughts.

11. Fertile Fish says:

Would like to take part, but can’t see the vid.

Not a fan of Jesus myself, the things he did with bread and fish were unforgiveable.

12. Rev Billy Pither says:

Dear Beloved,

This is a very interesting debate and I am reminded of Testicles Chapter 7 verse 342:

Thou shalt not do thy hair up unless thou ist a right raving puff,
    or one of them dead fit birds off of the telly adverts,
    He shall bear no witness of thine mane unless ye are one of the said.

Bless you all

13. Dubai Guy says:

Hasn’t the controversy given the brand more coverage, and that too for free? Something definitely fishy here.

I believe that sentence is a verse from bible. Here, I believe if an advertiser used Quranic verse along with erotic images, he will seriously offend us muslims. We do take our religion very seriously & Islam as a religion also teaches me not to offend other religions through these verses:

Had Allah willed, they would not have taken others besides Him in worship. And We have not made you a watcher over them nor are you set over them to dispose of their affairs.

Follow what has been inspired to you (O Muhammad) from your Lord, None has the right to be worshipped but He and turn aside from polytheists.

And insult not those whom they (disbelievers) worship besides Allah, lest they insult Allah wrongfully without knowledge. Thus We have made fair seeming to each people its own doings; then to their Lord is their return and He shall then inform them of all that they used to do. (Chapter 6: Verses 106 – 108)

Dubai Guy’s last blog post..What is your choice: Islam or Society?

14. Magaret says:

Most chiropractor offices are located. Caring chiropractor for a patient.
    The physician may likewise suggest the patient to help maintain a more normal appearance,
    aand even drinking orr eating supplements. One way to reduce pain.
    Below are somme important subjects that a potential chiropractor learns.
    Kinesiology iss a kind of adjusting tool so that the healoth problems you mmay be feeling,
    in particular.