Almost forgot my own password

Posted on May 2nd, 2010 by Angela in Canada

OK it’s been so long I DID almost forget my own password – funny how life suddenly takes over – well – your life!

This will be a short post because I simply have a question that has been bugging me for some time now. And it has been pushed to the forefront of my cranium by various things I have read lately.

Can anyone give me a reason for the space program? Why are we still spending billions of dollars and precious non-renewable resources sending people into space and launching all kinds of soon-to-be space junk when we have so many more pressing problems that could be dealt with quite effectively with that space budget?

YouTube Preview Image

Oh and by the way I perused the NASA site for an answer to this questionand all I found were justifications that I thought were sort of after the fact – like the big technological advances that come from it – excuse me but aren’t they rather a consequence rather than a reason?

So my coffee friends – your input please. Am I just “in orbit” on this one?

23 Responses to “Almost forgot my own password”

1. Yes, I ask myself some of these questions, but I do know that part of the research is for making advancements and not a consequence. I also, feel that it is good too be in the forefront instead of our potential “enemies,” as it used and can be used for defense. In speaking with my husband, who is an aerospace engineer. He has worked on government projects that have been significantly important and they are addressing “space pollution.” I can’t tell you anymore because he would have to kill me if he told me anything else…TOP SECRET!!!
    .-= ClinicallyClueless´s last blog ..One Year Anniversary!! =-.

• Hi CC
      Yes I can see your point but I have my own theories about the validity of arguments around so-called “potential enemies” which I suspect are often more inventions to justify spending and power in the hands of an elite few than a true threat in reality. But that’s just my opinion.

And it is interesting that projects even exist to address space pollution, which again is another consequence of the space program (and not a good one).

I still don’t see the justification for the amount being spent given the other problems we face. I would love to ask that question of NASA’s top dog or Barack Obama – unfortunately I’m not that big of a media dog myself!

So glad that your hubby didn’t have to shoot you – you would be sorely missed!
      .-= Angela in Canada´s last blog ..Who will pay me to write? =-.

2. Jim says:

Welcome back Angela and password wise – I’ve been there, on many levels with bank cards, websites and forgetting where I’ve parked my car!

It does amaze me the cash that goes into getting to the mooon (did it really happen) and war – both funds would end world poverty if we said – no war, no space….

Oh and bringing me back round to parking – where to Astronaughts parks there cars?

In the space, man :-)

3. Jim says:

Thnx for the Bowie Vid…

Here’s Jay zee n Bowie mashed up:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bReQQArnK0&feature=related

4. irishcoffee says:

Why do we spend billions of dollars sending space ships to space?!

Well, picture it…

Fundamentally, the reason seems to be a sexual one. It is obviously a male-dominated obsession…and, like our seemingly endless lust for war, is linked to sexual impotency.
    .-= irishcoffee´s last blog ..GO! Have a baby with your Grandson, Granny? =-.

• Gareth in Thailand says:

Maybe it has something to do with wanting to have the myriad of consumer goods that rely on space – tv, telephone, internet, etc.
      Without satelites we would be a bit screwed.

Then there is the instant news, instant communication, instant sporting coverage this brings. As well as allowing many organisations to understand what is going on anywhere in the world and mobilising relief efforts for disasters and so on.

We could look to the way we are mapping the earth’s water cycle or the hole in the ozone layer or even the thickness and distribution of melt ice at the poles and then see if this is related to manmade climate change or is attributable to something from an outside influence such as a gamma ray burst from a distant super nova for example.

In addition we can get a good feel for the local area (astronomically speaking) and if it has any surprises for us such as armageddon inducing asteroids on a collision course, sun spots and solar flares, the way our planet and other planets move and the affect things like precession of the earths orbital axis have on our planet and its weather cycle.
      Observing these in or from space has many advantages, I mean look at the images the Hubble telescope gave us compared to even the best optical telescopes in Chile / Hawai.

In addition there is the spin off into our modern manufacturing of certain technologies from space, Teflon being probably the most commonly quoted one.

Some of the experiements being done tie in with CERN and will hopefully allow us to understand more closely matter, dark matter, sub atomic particles, dark energy and maybe even the much hunted Higgs boson which would really allow us to look at the mechanics of gravity from a particle viewpoint. Once we really understand how the laws of the very small tie in with the laws of the very big we might be able to reproduce or use some of the processes to our advantage in clean, cheap energy.

Other than the above and about 100 reasons it would take to long to write about I’m pretty stumped.

5. Yes I agree somewhat – unfortunately politics is still very much a male-dominated arena that I feel could benefit from more female input.

I also read an article about the concern coming from certain of the more conservative elements of the US about the country “falling behind” others in the space race. They even managed to get former astronauts on board.

I couldn’t help thinking that it sounded like a pretty childish argument.
    .-= Angela in Canada´s last blog ..Who will pay me to write? =-.

6. Susan G says:

I have been to your website before. The more I take in, the more I keep coming back! ;-)

I suppose its because it’s the final frontier isn’t it?

Which is fair enough, if they have mastered and investigated everything on this planet. At the risk of sounding like the late Michael Jackson, what about the oceans? There’s loads that we don’t know about them and that we could potentially harness to some effect.

8. Ian Baker says:

This call for more women in politics though- lets not jump the gun

Thatcher
    Imedla Marcos
    Edwina Currie

girls just aren’t cut out for it. however they certainly have a role to play in politics- just not leading it.

after all a good minister needs his food ready when he gets home, his shirts well ironed and the understanding of a good woman who will ignore indiscretions such as affairs as necessary for stress relief.

• Sexist and quite misogynistic!!!
      .-= ClinicallyClueless´s last blog .. =-.

• Ian Baker says:

Not at all CC

All I am saying is girls strengths don’t lie in leading a nation. they lie in doing other equally important stuff- like lollipop ladies, nuns, dinner ladies, secretaries (provided they look the part and dress in suitable attire) and of course adult entertainment actresses, lap dancers, waitresses, nurses and finally housewives and cleaners.

but war and stuff is not for them. after all what would happen if in the middle of a war briefing a spider or mouse got into the room- the several minutes hysteria to ‘get it out of here now’ could mess up important decisions.

oh they can also be cooks- but more in terms of assistants to men cooks who do a far better job.

9. Women in politics – yes there have been some great ones. And yes we also make good door mats and dancers.
    But we also know the fragility of the male ego and therefore, have become skilled in the art of letting the male sex think they control things.

Alas how quickly the world would disintegrate (and the fridge empty) without us fragile women to keep things in balance.

On the comments about all the technological advances that the space program has given us – okay – I will concede to that much used argument.
    (Although I doubt all are as beneficial to the human race as we are led to believe). I think Teflon was mentioned – which if I recall correctly has been associated with increased risk of cancer?

Anyway my point was really about what it has cost us to obtain these technological advances, many of which have come as a side benefit of the main goal (which is still unclear to me). I wonder what the cost would have been had publicy-funded research been focused on achieving the same results?

And going forward, now that we have a few problems facing our planet and our species, would it not be more appropriate to dedicate funds and resources to more pressing issues like development of alternative energy options that are renewable, developing sustainable food production for a changing climate that will feed everyone, preventing and curing disease and meaninful education that equips people to deal with a changing world.

Or is it more important to leave fresh footprints on the moon?
    .-= Angela in Canada´s last blog ..Who will pay me to write? =-.

• I agree with GIT. The technological advances are invaluable. For one, they have help us to see the ozone layer and its damage and now others are trying to figure out ways to fix it. We have learned much about our world by way of space programs especially in way of media and the immediacy of being able to speak have media conference etc… And, meeting where you can see everyone is much better for communication that only audio and even that takes satellites. Do you not consider that ALL of our communication and media need satillites in space to operate?

Teflon may have a contributing factor in cancer, but so do other things on Earth. However, it did lead to equipment with no known problems. And, has led to many technological advances and even in medicine.

There are a way too many things to name that helps us to achieve some of the goals that you mention. Additionally, there are women in power in the space programs and a much, much higher percentage of female engineers than it seems that you are aware of.

The eventuality of a huge asteroid hitting Earth is inevitable. Wouldn’t you like to know how we can avert as much damage as possible.

By the space technology, we were able to see how the recent large earthquakes as changed the axis of the Earth. Thus, tide flow, seasons, amount of Earth facing the sun…this impacts everything on Earth including crops and fuel resources. Therefore, it helps in all of the positive things that you mention.

It seems that it would be helpful if you would actually speak with several aerospace engineers about what type of projects they have contributed to…I think that you would be surprised that it isn’t as simple as putting our footprints on the moon. By the way, President Obama has made it clear that the move forward is not to revisit the moon!!!
      .-= ClinicallyClueless´s last blog ..Weird Al ~ The Saga Begins =-.

10. Damn, thank you very much for posting this! It is going to aid me when I buy Lollipops online! Very Awesome!