What Would You Do?

Posted on March 24th, 2010 by Clinically Clueless

I know that this is not a usual post, but I want opinions.  I have an antibody that is low, so I have been receiving infusion therapy/immunoglobulin therapy every four weeks for about six months now.  The following is a description is from Mayo Clinic:

Immunoglobulin therapy. Also called gamma globulin therapy, this treatment can be a lifesaver for people who have an antibody deficiency. Immunoglobulin consists of antibody proteins needed for the immune system to fight infections. It can be either injected into a vein through an IV line, or inserted underneath the skin (subcutaneous infusion). Treatment with intravenous gamma globulin is needed every few weeks to maintain sufficient levels of immunoglobulins. Subcutaneous infusion is needed once or twice a week.

Getting my rate of the amount given by ml per hour.  I am very sensitive to the rate and last month we figured out that my rate should not go above 60 ml, for which, the order is written as such. I am receiving it at home due to my allergies to all types of fragrances and some odors. It takes about six and a half hours at that rate.

Yesterday, the nurse that was sent to my home was very nice.  However, I suspect that she increased the rate to 70 ml while I was napping. When I woke up from my nap, I did not feel good.  I was beginning to get a migraine and was nauseated which are some of the symptoms that I had when the rate was above 60 ml.  I need to use “the little girls room” and had my husband go with me. We checked the rate and it was at 70 ml.

I went back to the living room where I was receiving treatment.  I told the nurse my symtoms and she stated that we needed to lower the rate.  Then, out of character, she asked what rate do I want it at.  I asked what is the rate currently and she stated, “60.” I asked again, as I was not feeling well, (it was a test and a way to give her an out).  She stated “60,” so I told her 50 ml. This morning at 12:30am I woke up because my right forearm was red, blotchy and itchy.

Now, I’m trying to decide what to do. I could just call and complain.  Wait for the pharmacist of the home care center to call due to my side effects being charted. I need to schedule an appointment, so I could request that I not have her assigned to me again. There are also other options.  What do you think I should do or what would you do?

14 Responses to “What Would You Do?”

1. Jim says:

Blimey CC this sounds like a case for a medical expert and I’m really not sure what your next step is – maybe seek treatment elsewhere?

• Well, some help you are. LOL!! What I ended up doing is speaking with the pharmacist regarding my side effects. The pharmacist then told me that the nursing supervisor needed to know.

As a result, I won’t be assigned this nurse again, she will be counseled, she has had more than eleven years at this job, and she will have to write an addendum to my records for that day.

The nursing supervisor was very nice, was apologetic and gave me some instruction regarding how to handle my reactions. And, also said that she needed to notify my doctor about the side effects and the nurse’s “mistake.”
      .-= Clinically Clueless´s last blog ..More Truth Sinking In!! =-.

2. Andrew says:

I’m no medical expert, and this is by no means a direct response to your quite specific query.

Speaking generally, I do know the human body is composed largely of salt and water, and therefore that many diseases are connected to a basic salt and water deficiency in our diet. There is of course “good” salts and “bad” salts. About five years ago I adopted a ritual of drinking a little dissolved Himalayan crystal salt in hot water – every morning for a period of months. Quite some time later I realised that I had never had so much energy as around about that period!! I now have a simple philosophy of health: look after your immune system, then trust it to look after you!

• Fertile Fish says:

“GOOD SALTS” – “BAD SALTS” ?????

snigger snigger snigger arf arf snigger!

I’m no medical expert either Andrew, snigger snigger snigger!

Jeeeeez….. this blog still attracts tw@tz

Get yer O level in scientific clever stuff then Andrew, didjer?

• Fertile Fish says:

PS…… Why on earth did it take you “quite some time” to realise you had never had so much energy?

Surely you must have been aware of that at the time, or at thye very least immediately afterwards….?

Did you perchance also shove a pipe up ypur @rse like Jimbo?

snigger snigger snigger

PPS is your real name Tw@teth In Tw@tland?

PPPS, sooooorry New Age Andrew, that was unfair, one cannot heap the burdon of Supreme Knowledge and Experience, and still deliver it with an (albeit contrived humility & working-class-backgound-done-good, we all know the script…..yawn yawn) encyclopaedic ability to condescend and remain unchallenged.

Salt this, salt that…….. snigger snigger snigger!

Come on GIT, that’s you!

Or Taylor Blue…….

Whaddappened you TB?

Giz a shout!

3. Ian Baker says:

erm andrew

I agree about looking after your body but yo attribute having salt in hot water to being a reason for increased energy output is erroneous. No evidence for that is there.

salt is salt is salt is salt

whether its himalayan or from your local tesco its the same chemical compound and thus exhibits the same effect on your body.

himalayan salt can help you lose weight moreso than tesco salt. it can lighten your wallet if you believe unproven health claims

4. Andrew says:

Perhaps it’s just my tendency to provoke old prejudices, but I didn’t think this was the kind of forum where I would have to defend my statements. But now that you’ve basically begged me to… :p

As I also don’t think this is the forum for debating (as much as I love that!), I’ll just make a few remarks.

I am not a healthy eating freak (neurotic about diet), i.e. I am not obsessed with eating the “right” foods and avoiding the “wrong” ones. I happen to think that HOW we eat is more important than WHAT we eat. Nevertheless WHAT we eat does have some importance, and I feel we have a responsibility to be aware of the latest information and scientific knowledge about nutrition without becoming obsessed with some of it. Equally, we should beware of the tendency to idolise so-called scientific “proofs” as if science where the holy grail of truth, and therefore dismiss “unproven” claims as superstitious.

I won’t go into the numerous facts behind the good salt – bad salt idea (save to say that there IS in fact a significant chemical difference between salts!) However, if either of you happen to be interested in the facts (i.e. REAL science), The Independent did a good article on this a while back. Follow the link..

• Andrew, glad that you responded and hope that it doesn’t scare you away. Those with curled milk you have to deal with to…defend yourself when you need to. It is also a forum for that.
      .-= Clinically Clueless´s last blog ..Autism? =-.

• Andrew says:

Thanks, CC! I am from Belfast, and if you know anything about its recent history, you might agree with me – it’ll take a hell of a lot more than THAT to scare me :p In fact, there’s a bit of fire behind those comments, which I appreciate.

5. Andrew says:

This is the whole problem, Ian, they both believe they are the salt of the earth! ;)

• It all depends…they could all be salt of the Earth depending on who Christ and God is to them…just my Christian opinion.
      .-= ClinicallyClueless´s last blog ..Autism? =-.

• Andrew says:

You could be right, but it’s taken us a while to recognise it! Certainly wasn’t much preserving going on before.. Whatever they might have been to some, I think Christ and God were largely symbols of nationalism (using that term in the broadest sense, covering both sides’ ideology!).

…sorry, what was the topic of the thread again.. :p
        .-= Andrew´s last blog ..Am I doing it, or is it doing me? =-.

6. Wow, thank you so much for posting this! It is going to aid me when I research Himalayan Salt online! Very Incredible!