My domain held hostage for $60,000 – Wake up, Smell the coffee!

Posted on July 6th, 2009 by Jim

HELP me fellow internet goers! I’m in a spot of bother…..

A $60,000 demand for my domain name www.gosmellthelfowers.com has given me the biggest wake up call of my life! The domain is being held hostage – flattering, frustrating and annoying rolled into one and I’m at a loss of what to do next but am determined to brush myself down and get back in the race.

coffee-heart

It was taken from me by someone who I thought was a friend and a flower-friendly one at that who claims to ‘turns frowns upside down’. Someone I brought on board at GO! Smell the flowers 12 months after the site had been up through an affiliate relationship.

His demand is I pay him $50,000 (that increase by $10,000 per month starting July 1st 2009) to have my domain transfered back to me. I’m hoping with the viral power of the internet I can stop this happening to other people and possbily get the flowers domain back as I consider all my options. Luckily our contributors are up for smelling the coffee with me as the community continues.

Despite buying the domain gosmelltheflowers in early 2006 and launching the website soon after followed by the trademark, the ISBN book number for the book I have lost access to the .com. Thanks to a quick thinking tech friend we’ve saved all the previous work and re-hosted safely back at 1&1 and start our quest to get flowers back. Three years of tip-tapping away everyday leading to new friends all over the world and media coverage thankfully hasn’t been lost.

At the time of writing GO! Smell the flowers has enjoyed 2,421 posts (articles) from 35 writers that led to 48,302 comments being made at the site as we started to blossom into the online community we’d hoped we’d be. With 4,500 following ‘flowersmeller’ at blogcatalog, a facebook group, almost 1,800 twitter followers picking up on my tweets , 18 brand based videos on http://www.youtube.com/user/GoSmelltheflowers and an active presence at smelltheflowers on stumbleupon.

Isn’t this proof enough who the rightful owner is? Our writers think so and have agreed to carry on writing here as the community continues so a big THANKS to them! Aside from this the tip-tapping passion I’ve had for the site with various web designers, tech teams, affiliates and countless over the top conversations about the online community with a difference.  I’ll be spending the next week re-writing the content of the other pages as the transition from flowers to coffee is born.

We’ve had lots of ups and downs over the years but I didn’t see my domain name being held to ransom.

On June 22nd 2009 I was told that  www.gosmellthelfowers.com was no longer mine, bye-bye and as I’d transfered my domain from www.1and1.co.uk to www.godaddy.com the password was then changed. It feels like having the car keys but no being able to access the garage.

I truly hope your domain names are safe and will spend the next couple of weeks raising awareness, building the coffee community and really appreciate your initial thoughts on what I should do next. I’ll post every other day detailing the history, the ups and the down of the last 3 years.

At least our content and community spirit is intact  – thanks to an unsung tech hero who has saved 3 years work and hosted it all here! That’s life, right? As Frank Sinatra once said as some people get their kicks stomping on a dream:

YouTube Preview Image

So welcome to GO! Smell the coffee! I’m trying to leave my emotions out of my next step but welcome your thoughts and measured opinions on what you think of the situation and what I should about it.

Share your comments right here and please do forward this post on to everyone you know as we try to harness the viral power of the internet! I’d hate it to happen to anyone else, blog, business or otherwise! Cheers and grab yourself a quick brew as people tell people and get this story out!

YouTube Preview Image

Thank you for your support and please spread the word by sending this post to others!

243 Responses to “My domain held hostage for $60,000 – Wake up, Smell the coffee!”

1. Fertile Fish says:

Interesting dilemma there Mumbo Jumbo…..

What should you do next? Well here is what you should not do next.

1) NEVER buy flowers from FLORA2000

2) NEVER recommend FLORA2000 as a flower provider

3) NEVER trust the underhand, deceitful, backstabbing owner of FLORA2000. What was his name now? Rehan Yar Khan? or insipid RYK (The Thief) as his inconsequential comments were always signed.

What should you do?

1) Tell everyone via whatever media you can (a plug on Dubai Radio this week would be good) how RYK The Thief and owner of FLORA2000 tried to steal your domain.

Personally, although I think your blog is usually full of waffle, I think it is thoroughly disgusting that RYK The Thief and the owner of FLORA2000, has essentially attempted to blackmail you.

Hats off to you for acting quickly and if you don’t get GSTF back, I wouldn’t worry unnecssarily, RYK The Thief from FLORA2000 will not have any value from his hostage attempt.

• Fertile Fish says:

Just noticed RYK The Thief’s contributor badge has not been converted to Coffee!!!

Shame on you Mumbo Jumbo Jim!

You should at least have it convereted so the link to RYK The Thief’s, The Cyber Hostage Taker’s own company is available to enable people in the future to be reminded of the ethics of this company owner’s business strategy.

Snigger snigger snigger!

BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000! BOYCOTT FLORA2000!

Erm thanks Fertile—

I’ve no issue with the service Flora2000 gave at all.

The domain theft is the issue!

Still held at my home address that mysteriously changed to GO! India, based at my home address in Chester, Uk, GIBRALTAR!!!
        The address was changed……

Hmmmm.

2. adminoxerous says:

this guy’s a crazy nut-hole to do what he thinks could bring him nothing more than anything ! huh, deceitful attempt by an ******** fawn
    .-= adminoxerous´s last blog ..Twitter suspended many of the accounts : Remedy =-.

3. Graham says:

Sadly, domains are being held hostage every day. For some unknown reason the people who do this reckon the sites are worth tens of thousands of dollars. What they don’t understand is that such ransom demands are never going to be met. Why? Because it is comparatively easy for the rightful owner to set up a new web site and transfer everything over.

Readers will stay loyal to a site, no matter what the domain name is. If the site is one they like and value, they will happily change bookmarks, links and so on.

After all, if you move house, all your contacts update their address books. Changing the domain name is not much different.

Hence the person holding you to ransom Jim has nothing of intrinsic value. True it is inconvenient for you and your site’s users; but they will be loyal to you and will stick two fingers up to your former friend.

Hi Graham,

I well remember the blogger course I took with you in Oct 2006 in London, as GSTF was just starting out as a blogspot.

Your advice has been second to none and I’m flattered you’ve taken the time to comment here at coffee.

Thanks again for your support last week when this bombshell was dropped.

Feel free to post about this case at your blog to prevent it happening to others…

You’re right – the writers and contributors have been equally as supportive.

HOW can this be avoided in the future and do I have a case to take up with GO! Daddy?

4. O'DB says:

Unbelievable.

Good luck in getting Go Smell The Flowers back or maybe, preferably, making the new jump into a new name Go Smell The Coffee – maybe the silver-lining, renewed sense of energy & direction for the blog?

• Jim says:

Thanks O’DB and welcome aboard the new community.

You’ll be a huge assett here and I’m preparing you contributor badges right now – it’ll be up tomorrow..

Bring on those word games.

Are domain thief used ot like them!

5. Svasti says:

This is a deplorable thing for someone to do, especially someone you thought of as a friend!!

Here’s some advice I was given that could help you… Tag this post with the business name, address and URL so this post will always come up when they get Googled. Google loves blogs better than dot coms. And tags are very useful to search engines.

Then there’s also Google bombing… sounds like he deserves it! Get your techie mate to help you out.

Finally, I’d get some legal advice if I were you. Just Google “stolen domain name” and you’ll get a bunch of results, some more useful than others. There are lawyers that specialise in this field, and advice from others who’ve had similar experiences.

Good luck with getting it back. And if you don’t well, I guess we’ll all be reading Go Smell the Coffee (mmmm, coffee) from now on.

Damn criminals!!
    .-= Svasti´s last blog ..Personal space =-.

Hi Svasti,

Thanks for the suggestion but I’ve no energy to do the marketing tactics having put it all into the last nail biting 10 days to make my dream continue on….

I’m looking into the legal aspects now.

Hope to see you here on a regualr basis :-)

6. irtiza104 says:

it’s a really disappointing news. i really hope that you get your domain back soon. but dont bother if you dont get it back. because, a site is nothing without its owner. i hope you’ll grow much bigger here.

*it is even more upsetting for me, coz i am in the process of starting my own website.*
    .-= irtiza104´s last blog ..Communicate through Blogs Effectively =-.

• Jim says:

Thanks irtiza 104 and I’m glad this post has reached you so you can be aware of the pitfalls of website / domain /affiliate ownership and agreement.

As I tip-tap away (excuse typos) writing from the heart understand that no-one can EVER take away that from you.

They may chose to see the big $$ picture and step over anything in their way to acheive it but for what?

Please enjoy the following clip- please do watch this:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1JAud8xWc8&feature=related

BRING IT ON

What we do in life echose in eternity

7. Emma W says:

Well, I believe that one should always grasp any new direction that presents itself.. Not too firmly though, or it could go off in your hand.

• Jim says:

Thanks for dropping in Emma – its really appreciated!

• Svasti says:

Emma, while I’m sure you don’t wish to be drawn on this matter, I’d be interested to hear your view.

• Emma Wheat says:

Hi Svati, as you may have seen by my comment below, the comment above is not me!

This is however.

I do have a view on this and I would rather not put it here. Words seem to get misinterpreted and twisted!

I was asked to relinquish my 10%, something I was not, and am still not happy about. That is all I am going to say!

Good to see you here though!

8. Gareth in Thailand says:

Forget the GSTF name, site, domain or anything else. Put your energy into GSTC. I wouldn’t even bother discussing RYK or his actions he might be petty but should you stoop to similar tactics?
    Personally I think GSTC is a better name.
    Will you get a deal for us to send coffee to each other? Mine’s an espresso if you do.

• Jim says:

Thanks for your continued support over the last week Gareth, thanks for sticking with it.

• Fertile Fish says:

Very mature response Big Fella!

Me, I favour the teenage m@sturb@tion stylie, but watch out there with the coffee GIT, a senior exec of your stature has enough pressure without drinking a heart stopper like espresso…..

And who would I t@ke the p1$$ out of then Big Fella?

After all Red Dog (note now using his name, clearly worked out his techy issues since) has not lived up to it!

• Pompous Git says:

Don’t be so childish Fish Blokey!

Senior execs like me and GIT need our caffiene fix to stay on top of the game and keep you junior types in check!

Make mine a double espresso!

Snigger snigger snigger

BUGGER!

I mean Har har har!

9. Jim says:

THANKA FOR ALL THE SUPPORT – LESS THAN 1 HOUR INTO THE POSTING AS COMMENT COME IN:

I’VE JUST HAD AN EMAIL IN FROM SOMEONE CLAIMING TO OWN THE http://WWW.GOSMELLTHEFLOWERS.COM DOMAIN:

good that you did something with it. I’m killing GSTF for now. I’ll probably use it sometime in the future.
    Rehan

Rehan yar Khan?Founder ? Flora2000.com ? Remindo.com ? Orios Ltd ? http://www.orios.gi ?www.rehanyarkhan.com

1st Floor Pandey House, Kemps Corner, Mumbai 400026 ? Tel: +91.22.6450.6888 ? Fax: +91.22.2389.2127 ? Mobile: +91.98200.86616

33W 19th Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10011 ? Tel: +1.212.655.3075 ? Fax: +1.206.201.5891 ?Mobile: +1.917.267.7544

He still believes it is his!

Wake up, smell the coffee…

10. Grantus says:

Jimbo,

This rotter deserves to be put in the kitten stomper!

I’m sure everything will work out. Do you want me to send the boys round and have a cyber-word with him?!

Rgds

Grantus

11. Interesting turn of events Jim, some Uncle Cyril here seems to have a point or two as well :D

Strange things I must say, its hilarious to know what RYK has done, I feel bad for you, no one escapes the laws of the universe. Hari Om.

Peace & Love,
    Clyde
    .-= Clyde Fernandes´s last blog ..Vector Boom =-.

• Jim says:

Thanks Clyde – hope all is well in India and I well remember your rapid response to close the affiliate agreement when I signed up with Flora2000 – it was your service and reaction time that did it and all in all it was a great expeience…Just soured at the end…

Uncle Cyrils comments were removed by our Dubai based moderator which is out of my hands right now as the last thing I need is to be banned!!

Not sure what to do next but hope to see you smelling the coffee here!

12. uncle cyril says:

Sorry jim but I will give you the same support when a friend of mine mailed you about my. Depression- you turned your back and didn’t want to know. So boo hoo you were warned about him and blanked it. Keep chasing your bad writing and new age cack truth is you don’t care about anyone but yourself you reap what you sow you fraud. Your brother when it suits you Gary

• Jim says:

Ah, Uncle Cyril – I’ve over ridden the modrators call here and let your comment ride – freedom of speach and all that….

You did warn me, you talk sense and I should have listened – for that I apologise.

I’ve ordered a sentance maker from Amazon and will strive to write more betterer….

Good news is O’DB in the forest is joining the contributors here!

13. TheFortunes says:

Hi Jim,
    This is simply incredible, and I am unable to understand how this person could steel your GSTF domain? Did you gave him access to your registrar’s account? And if not, was your domain name locked?
    This happening must be like waking up in the middle of a nightmare, considering the years of work, and passion you spent into building your brand and community.

And I really hope for you that you’ll be able to get back the domain, and I’ll post the story on as few blogs for sure. And the person that did this to you will not be able to enjoy it, let alone the bad karma he is calling onto himself, but when the story spreads around enough, he will be sorry he did what he did.

Good luck and stay strong mate!
    .-= TheFortunes´s last blog ..Fast – Faster – Fastest =-.

• Jim says:

Thanks Thefortunes and welcome back!

Sadly I was convinced to authorise tranfer of my domain name http://www.gosmelltheflowers.com from 1&1 to GODaddy at his request…

Not realising the passwords would be changed and I’d be told it was no longer mine….!

I’ve learnt a hard lesson and not sure what to do to get it back….

14. TheFortunes says:

As Svasti mentioned, do the TAG’s thing, and definitely do the legal advice Jim. And if money for this is a problem, maybe the community members and followers of BC etc could donate a few $ each in order to help.

Take care and stay strong!
    .-= TheFortunes´s last blog ..Fast – Faster – Fastest =-.

15. RYK says:

Folks, there are 2 sides to every story, so I think you should hear mine.

Jim is one of 3 partners of the GTSF project (so its strange that he calls it “My Domain”). The arragement has been that Jim is the front end of the project, while we work more behind the scenes and as contributors.

The last 4 months I watched silently and in shock as he tore at our 3rd partner, Emma, writing her emails which were in poor taste (to say the least). Finally he wrote her an email taking away all her stake in GSTF. I was disgusted by this as this is no way to treat a partner and someone who helped start GSTF.

Furter, what right did Jim have to “take away” her share in the project, just because all three of us did not own anything in writing but worked with Jim on pure trust?

Having gotten rid of her, it seemed that Jim was now after me. As with her, he started relentlessly placing demands on me to pay money, sponsor contests and undertake barter deals with a variety of 3rd partywebsites. As these demands grew, so did my disgust for working with Jim. One late evening when it got too much, I simply told Jim that I did not want anything further to do with GSTF and that I was donating my equity to him.

Next day I thought to myself, why should I get hounded out of GSTF. He has already gotten rid of Emma, by why should all of us who worked on this for 3 years give up so easily to Jim just because he hounds us and disgusts us into walking away from the project.

So I wrote to Jim that I had changed my mind and that I would like to hang onto my 30%. As expected he replied “Sorry, too late, you have given it up”.

Disgusted with Jim and his tactics, I wrote back to Jim that since the servers and domain was owned by the partnership, if he wanted it then he should pay us for it and take it over, but hounding us out of the project was not acceptable. This was followed by a personal meeting in Dubai last week, where I explained much the same.

I’m not sure what Jim has emailed many of you. But it is apparent that he has painted a picture that “his” domain has been “stolen”. This is a disgusting lie, it is infact Jim who has stolen the project from the partnership, by 1st trying to hound us out of the project (and partially succeeding) and when that didn’t succeed, starting this new domain, with blog posts stolen from the GoSmellTheFlowers.com servers!

Though you all know Jim better than you know the other partners, since he has been front ending the project, do keep in mind how we have been treated.

Rehan,

Welcome to GO! Smell the coffee.

I’m glad all this is out in the open and this is the best thing that has happened to me.

I’ve email proof of all ownership, threads and Emma’s reduced involvement in the online brand GO! Smell the flowers. So have all the contributors here and the online world so we’ll see who is telling the disgusting lie!

As you chose to bring my personal life here to GO! Smell the coffee remember that when my ex-wife Emma lost interest in GSTF and you suggest a sliding scale equity and that if no contribution then she would lose the equity.

You questioned what she brought to the table and if was no longer contributing then no equity. You worte an email to your Flora 2000 staff announcing you were no longer involved in the GSTF project and that I could deal with them directly.

Emma keeps 50% all rights to GO! Smell the flowers and we’re happy at that. She has already posted above as we move on and smell our coffee, leading seperate lives.

It was your very logic I applied to oust Emma from the project – nice work.

You gave back your 30% equity only to change your mind and then claim the domain as yours – again all recorded on email.

Deep now works for me and I pay him more than you did and more than you claimed you did.

Plus the way you treat you staff cooked up in Mumbai, the real foot soliders of your Flora 2000 empire is a disgrace.

They tip-tap away petrified to say boo to a goose while you plan to be the Worlds first online luxury flourist – I truly hope you make it, I really do.

I’m sure the media will be interested in the basic human rights of the way to treat your people.

The day you walked into the flat in Dubai was the day your told me I was the Steve Jobs of flowers (flattered) and that you’d announce the the site to all Flora 2000- customers.

Due to ‘poor content / pointless water cooler chatroom’ you never delivered on this promise.

Granted the support you gave with free flowers was commendable and as you pulled away from that and the project to watch from a distance you have the nerve to claim ownership of the domain I created, bought, trademarked, built up and posted on since mid 2006.

Emma’s instinct was right – I should’nt have got involved with you and wear my heart on my sleeve.

GO! Well and I feel sorry for you second only to your bullied & enslaved staff at Flora 2000 Mumbai – poor souls – I’d love to employ them all oneday.

$60,000 and then $10,000 per month – You’ve far more to lose than that.

I’m in touch with the chiefs at http://www.godaddy.com as it’s not doing their brand much good either!

What a wonderful ending to the book.

Coffee anybody?

• RYK says:

Jim, I have not brought in your personal life, I have written about how you have treated us, your partners.

It is very sad that you choose to slander my team at Flora 2000. You make them out to be people with the dimmest opportunities who have no choice but to work for a tyrant boss. For the record our amazing team consists of some of the brightest and most talented individuals on the planet and not “enslaved” in any manner. It is disgusting that you should call them that.

• Svasti says:

THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!! THIEF!!!! LIAR!!!!!

• Svasti says:

Hey Thief! Know any other adjectives except ‘disgusting’?

You’re doing yourself no favours coming over to a new website that’s not yours and slandering people left right and center.

Seeya Thief. Best if you don’t come around here any more, Thief!

Erherm…..

I certainly saw no slander of the poor souls under your employ there RYK The Thief old boy.

What is disgusting in this shameful affair is YOUR behaviour, ie your attempt to steal the GSTF domain.

Suggest you take a leaf out of the Big Fella GIT’s advice book.

He claims to be an important exec, I and believe the same can be said of you….

Time to start behaving like one, wouldn’t you agree?

I suggest you put down to that old adage of ‘it’s just business’ my friend……

snigger snigger snigger

Oooh dear!

I’ve just realised I have advocated the wise words of GIT here…….

These must be troubled times…….

Wouldn’t you agree Thief old boy?

Snigger snigger snigger

Hope I’m not losing my touch!

• Emma Wheat says:

Hi Jim,

That comment was not from me. I have taken more of a back seat and am disappointed that as a founder of GSTF that I was not ‘allowed’ to keep my 10% after putting work into it.

It is very sad that it has come to all of this. You have put a lot of hard work in.

I would ask though, that you do not post comments on my behalf.

I wish you the best of luck with GSTC.

Emma, as in your Ex wife and not the imposter above.

• Svasti says:

Perhaps this comment from “Emma” is the fake?? After all, its now been posted several times on different threads here.

Will the real Emma please stand up?

Hi Emma,

Truly I had no idea you weren’t the Emma above!!

Sorry I followed Rehans business logic with dimishing equity on no involvement!

When he pulled out of flowers 2 weeks ago he changed his mind saying he’d keep the 30% but no put any more work in…

A shame the logic didn’t apply to him.

Let’s get published, Emma.

Thanks for dropping into coffee.

• Svasti says:

Just so you know, none of your justifications make any sense, even if what you’ve written has any basis in reality.

By your own account, the domain wasn’t yours to take. If your words are to be believed, then its a three-way ownership. And let’s see… that means its not yours alone to do with as you will!!

So exactly who appointed you judge, jury & executioner? If you don’t like how someone is doing business, then consult a lawyer.

But in suddenly deciding to take your own form of “vengence” and in the process attempt to ruin a website (not that you’ll succeed) where many people contribute and enjoy interacting… you are seriously over-stepping the boundaries of common-sense and decency.

And what’s with $50K plus $10K per month ransom for the domain? Seems you didn’t bother to deny any of that? So I’m guessing it must be true.

Sorry, but your tactics stink of nothing more than nastiness.

If you want to deal fairly and honourably with someone, then go through your lawyers for the dissolution of a partnership.

But give back the domain name and stop holding the website to ransom. This domain change would not have happened if it wasn’t for your actions.

Truly, if Jim is as bad as you’re making out, you should realise that what you’ve done makes you look just as bad, if not worse. Revenge being the lowest form of emotional intelligence and all.

And if you’re lying, your actions and your pathetic attempt at justifying your actions is just stupidity.

Clearly, there’s more than one side to the story here (although some of the story may very well be fantasty/science fiction), and those of us not close to the action won’t be able to work it out based on what you or Jim writes.

But seriously? Hi-jacking a website is lame, stupid and childish.

• Jim says:

Welcome back Svasti – I know I’m doing the right thing here with far less to lose, thanks.

Compasson, love, light & Group hugs to RYK.

(((Coffee)))

Svasti & Fertile, please do take an impartial view:

1. GoSmellTheFlowers.com domain and servers belong to the partnership. No denying that. Jim wants to take away our equity, why should we give it up after having slogged for years on it? Albeit it behind the scenes. Does anyone just give up their equity?
          2. There are as they have been for 2 years
          3. The offer to Jim, was that if he wanted to go solo to buy the whole thing. Nothing wrong with that! No denying that.
          4. Instead Jim goes and starts this blog, copying all the content from gosmelltheflowers.com and painting me a thief.

Hi Theif,

I like the way you keep ignoring the sensible, logical questions everyone is asking you. Just like a politician – admit nothing but sling away with your continued lies.

4. Why haven’t you bothered to engage in normal business process?
            5. Why won’t you address people’s questions directly?

• RYK says:

1. What do you think gives you the right to do the very thing you are claiming that Jim was doing to you? I HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING TO JIM. MY OFFER WAS TO BUY ME OUT AS AND WHEN HE FELT COMFORTABLE DOING IT. I WAS NOT KILLING TO SITE, OR INTERFERING WITH ITS RUNNING. IT WAS A SIMPLE OFFER TO BUY ME OUT!
            2. If it was a partnership, what are your actions showing? I’d say its more of a dictatorship. WHAT DICTATORSHIP. I MADE JIM AND OFFER TO BUY ME OUT.
            3. Why are you holding the domain at ransom? That is not an offer to buy the whole thing. That is R-A-N-S-O-M. IF I HAD TAKEN THE DOMAIN OFFLINE OR KILLED IT, THAT WOULD BE RANSOM. ALL I DID IS MAKE HIM AN OFFER TO BUY ME OUT AS AND WHEN HE CHOSE. THAT IS NORMAL BUSINESS
            4. Why haven’t you bothered to engage in normal business process?
            5. Why won’t you address people’s questions directly?
            IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD WANT ME TO ANSWER, I AM HAPPY

RYK The Thief replies!

Oh the audacity of it, its just so rich! Snigger snigger snigger arf arf!

Yeah yeah yeah RYK The Thief, I believe you…… snigger snigger

Funny how Emma did not write in similar vein though…. Strange that….

Using and abusing her name in this manner, is just not cricket Old Boy. But then that seems to be a concept you struggle with Thiefy Boy….

And I’m sure a big business man like yourself would be able to just say ‘no’ to further investment?

After all, it’s just business there RYK The Thief old buddy……

Mumbo Jumbo Jim, I wouldn’t be quite so forgiving though in ‘having no issue with the service Flora 2000 gave’…..

Was it not the owner of said online floral delivery service that stitched you up?

In my book Flora 2000 and RYK The Thief are one and the same.

BOYCOTT FLORA2000!

Snigger snigger snigger snigger arf arf arf snigger!

• Grantus says:

Rehan,

No denial of the $50k + $10k demand?!

Sir, you are skating on very thin ice here as your actions are clearly unlawful.

No denial so far!

snigger snigger snigger!

• RYK says:

why should i deny my terms for buying me out? Those are my terms.

An admission!

Very honourable RYK The Thief! I applaud your admission, you are holding the domain to ransome for an unreasonable sum!

Seems however you have somewhat overvalued your expectation though there old boy?

Seems like GSTF no longer has a reason to exist now Coffee is here!

What’s that phrase people like you you use and are often heard to quote? ‘It’s business’….

Well it looks to me like you lost the deal.

Isn’t it rich?!

Snigger snigger snigger

16. TheFortunes says:

Well Jim, the only way to prevent such a thing happening is to never ever do as you did – transfer a domain name because a “friend” tells you to (for whatever reason, before you do your home work about the necessary things to know), or, because some “smart thief” sends you an email about the benefits of such a transfer.

Than – always lock your domain, and give access to your registrar account to a very few (if any) highly trusted people as possible.

Keep your domains where these are, unless you would like to transfer one, or a few as a batch to another registrar.

The worse thing in what happened to you Jim is the loss of trust in a so called “friend,” and the rude “wake-up” from it… It makes one wonder what’s online friendship worth, and does it even exist? And how low could people go when a possible gain of money is concerned…
    Shame on Rehan yar Khan, and on any of the same kind indeed…
    .-= TheFortunes´s last blog ..Fast – Faster – Fastest =-.

17. Jim says:

This video is for all who have contributed to GSTF in the last 3 years – thanks for switching to coffee an dfor all your support:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFx6OFooCs

18. Hi, I work for NameCheap, another domain registrar and would like to help you out.

So you transferred the domain and then lost it? I am trying to follow. Had you set it up on auto-renew? Did this person have your password and then transferred the DNS? You said you moved it from One and One and then to GoDaddy and then it was out of your hands. How did that happen?

There are certain rules to these things, and if you have the law in your favor, you can use it.

• RYK says:

Michelle, good to see you on board here. Like you have said, there are certain rules to these things. The domain did not expire, nor was it “stolen”. The domain belongs to the partnership and is where it is, as is the server content. We asked Jim to buy it if he chooses. Instead he starts slandering via this domain, where he has copied all the content from the original domain gosmelltheflowers.com

Possibly you can shed some light on the legal aspect and show the readers here how gosmelltheflowers.com was not “stolen”

• Svasti says:

Hi Thief, why don’t you go back to one of your own sites or the domain you stole? Bugger off, your comments here aren’t welcome, Mr LiarThief.

• Jim says:

Now, now Svasti – all are welcome here!

Rehan is entitled to his point of view and I’m glad this is out in the open – it will get resolved, I’m sure.

• Svasti says:

I doubt it – I think all you’ve got here is a public mud slinging match.

To be honest, I don’t know enough to know who did what to whom. It does ‘look’ like RYK has done the wrong thing here, but his motivations are clearly not straight forward.

And it doesn’t look good that a post was made on Emma’s behalf in support of you though, does it?

I think if you’re going to play in the public domain, you can’t tell people who sit here and defend you ‘now now’.

Why would you want someone who’s done what RYK has to be ‘welcome’ here? There’s only so far you can take new-age platitudes.

Anyway. Sounds like GSTF is dead. Probably for the best. And it might be a good idea to eventually close comments on this post and move on.

Hopefully both you and RYK can do so.

• Gsreth in Thsiland says:

How do you slander someone by blog? Surrly it’s libel RYK old boy.

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to GO! Smell the coffee – It’s great you’ve dropped in like this and I truly appreciate it.

In March 2009 I niavely instructed my server http://www.1&1.co.uk to ‘transfer MY domain over to my partner Rehan to http://www.godaddy.com

I have all the emails that lead up the decision, show the decision and with Rehan confirming the transfer plus asking if it was done.

The process was started in Jan but GO! Daddy didn’t request my authorisation in the early stages.

GO! daddy won’t entertain me as I don;’t have username or password – never did have – Rehan had them and changed them – all I got was a notification that activity has happened to my domain from GO! Daddy and if it was illegal to report it.

My case can only be heard if I have a GO! Daddy password and username?!?!

This domain, http://www.gosmellthecoffee.com was bought and set up at the same 1&1 host in 2006, along with flowers.

Flowers is still registered to my home address in Chester, UK but someone has changed it from Jim Wheat to GO! India and rather than CHESTER being liste din the UK it has been changed to Gibraltor – the home of ORIOS Limited http://www.orios.gi/ – owners of FLora 2000 and based guess where?

Gibraltar.

In fact – to be transparent about this here is the open history:

7th March 2006: Domain name http://www.gosmelltheflowers.com bought and registered through http://www.1and1.co.uk to

Mr. Jim Wheat, 13 Overleigh Road, Handbridge, Chester, CH4 7HL, England, UK .

May 2006: Phishface design commissioned to design the book cover, website header, graphics and image gallery for http://www.gosmelltheflowers.com

August 2006: Blog hosted http://www.gosmelltheflowers.blogspot.com in the name of Jim Wheat and still registered to jim.wheat@gmail.com to support http://www.gosmelltheflowers.com

December 2006: GO! Smell the flowers becomes an affiliate partner of Flora 2000 through Jim Wheat. Standard 20% commission paid on all flowers bought from the site gosmelltheflowers as Flora 2000 banners are placed within GSTF.

January 2007: Flora 2000 agree to provide free flowers for monthly contests giveaways and during 2007 a partnership is discussed with draft agreements detailing a company being formed in the U.S.A, possibly Gibraltar (under ORIOS, the Flora 2000 holding company) with nothing finalized. The U.A.E was agreed as the place to set up a business for GO! Smell the flowers.

23rd March 2007: Jim Wheat buys 10 ISBN book numbers including # 978-0-9555664-0-0 for GO! Smell the flowers – One Journey, Many discoveries.

27th July 2007 in an email from RYK to Jim finalising the agreed areas of responsibility we all took:

Jim & Emma will be the leaders of the community and through their passion, instinct and hardwork the community will gain traction. They have also done an immense amount of ideating on what the features of the online community will be and have done research into rolling it out. .

Rehan is experienced in online media and his primary contribution will be strategic in designing the features of the online community and growing it. He can also play a role as content contributor and developing the community through online out reach and marketing. His additional expertise lies on the software side which can be contributed as required.

Jim, Emma and Rehan incorporate a firm to own GoSmellTheFlowers (GSTF) media and brand; and all GoSmellTheFlowers’ activities are done under the ownership of this firm. The firm can be incorporated in Gibraltar for a smallish fee and quick..

Jim, Emma & Rehan bring their expertise together and set-up the site. Necessary funds can be contributed in the ratio of company ownership.
      J&E drive the usage and community on GSTF.com through online means and offline pr and word of mouth. Rehan contributes to this drive as and when he can.

Flora2000 becomes GSTF’s 1st and only floral partner contributing by way of sponsoring promotions and paying out commissions for sales generated via GSTF. Flora2000 promotes GSTF through its site and newsletters. In return it gets prominent branding throughout the site.
      Once the media takes off and monetization happens (thru ads, listing fees, affiliate sales, etc), GSTF remunerates J&E and R by way of salaries for their work contribution. Equity based remuneration happens as and when monetization is achieved on the equity side.

September 2008: Jim & Emma’s marriage dissolves and is annulled in February 2009. Emma loses equity in GSTF website but retains 50% rights to the book.

16th February 2009: In good faith, Jim Wheat contacts hosts http://www.1and1.co.uk to allow Rehan to ‘take over the running of my domain, GO! Smell the flowers’ requesting that they unlock the domain to enable transfer.

March 16th 2009: Jim Wheat confirms to http://www.godaddy.com that the domain transfer has been authorised for Rehan to run my domain.

20th June 2009: Rehan emails Jim Wheat to express loss of interest in the project and donates his 30% equity in the website back to Jim Wheat.

21st June 2009: Rehan decided he wants to keep his 30% equity having spent time and money on the project but without any further project involvement. Jim explains it is too late and he owns 100% equity with it being donated back.
      Rehan claims he owns 100% of the domain and the servers since the switch to http://www.godaddy.com If I want the GSTF domain from Rehan, he insists I pay him $50,000. Price goes up $10,000 every month starting July 1st 2009. He wished me Good luck with your project, and if I ever need the domain, let him know. He’ll keep it alive infinitely on his servers, but is happy to sell it to the highest bidder.

July 2009: Jim Wheat commissions Dubai based LOC8 to design the brand GO! Smell the coffee as a safe place to host in a bid to win GO! Smell the flowers back. Existing contributors who were involved at GO! Smell the flowers are transferring to GO! Smell the coffee.

Today – Jim Wheat starts a global awareness campagin (the beauty of the internet) to stop this happening to others.

I’ve learnt that writing from the heart and with passion (albeit clumsy at times but I try) is more powerful than any corporate.

Or at least I hope so.

Michelle, I intend to be as open as I can about all this, come what may and thanks for dropping by.

Rgds,
      Jim

I’ll post a couple of proof emails right now in this thread….

• Deep Ganatra says:

From what I understand, this is what has happened:

1. Jim had the domain name with 1&1
      2. The domain was transferred to Rehan’s account but the contact details belonged to Jim.
      3. The contact details were changed to other details, which did not belong to Jim.

I think the way to go is to present all the legal documents to Godaddy and get the domain back.

Regards,
      Deep

• Jim says:

OK Deep – thanks for dropping in and stay strong.

I appreciate RYK will psuh your for the passwords for this site and if he does – don’t give in – you’re part of this team now!

Great courage, thanks for making this come alive Deep.

Without you I’d have lost the lot – lucky Rehan sent the email to all at Flora annoucing he was no longer invovled in the project and that I was free to deal with you directly!

I’ll look into the legals now.

• RYK says:

Deep, the domain never belonged to Jim solely. It belonged to the partnership. No one is going to transfer the ownership of a domain, plus its hosting to a “friend”. Jim tried to make us give up our equity and it did not succeed.

Theoratically it is best if everything is treated legally, but unfortunately because there is no revenue in the project, no one will bother. If it was treated legally, it would clearly show that the partnership owns the domain and not any one individual.

• Svasti says:

Erm… if there’s no revenue in the project, why are you holding it to ransom?

Exactly Svasti!

Did I misinterpret something or does RYK The Thief increase his demand by US$10K per month?

The ransom monies increase!

Justify that one RYK The Thief!

snigger snigger snigger

• Jim says:

‘THE DOMAIN NEVER BELONGING TO JIM SOLEY????

eH?

I bought in 2006 – still registered to my home address.
          Ran on blogspot for 8 months.
          Ran on http://www.gosmelltheflowers.com/blog
          Then the website.
          Then became an affiliate of ‘team staff like slaves’ Flora 2000.
          That, was my mistake.

It cost me decent founders, decent people!

• RYK says:

Fertile, I am not holding anything to Ransom.

Jim has created this entire fairytake to justify copying the content (without the permission of the partners) of GSTF to this new site.

As far as paying me goes, because there was no revenue in the project, I asked him to pay as and when he brought investors on board, which would only be after it was successful from a revenue perspective. At that stage, the amount paid to me would be relatively small.

• Fertile Fish says:

Well now, that’s convinced me!

Get over it loser.

snigger snigger snigger

• Gsreth in Thsiland says:

RYK,
          My articles were donated to Jim, I lovethe fact you hold a site that is made up from donated content to no smal degree.
          I started to wind down my contribution after the explosion in readers promised by flora did not appear (somthing you committed to) and your temper tantrum e-mail after Jim forwarded a tech question e-mail to you.
          Sussed you out a long time ago chief, keep GSTF, its vmerely a domain name without the writers and so on.

19. Robbay says:

Sometimes you have to move on in life and start another domain. Something better will rise out of the ashes. He didn’t steal your talent.
    .-= Robbay´s last blog .."Mind Over Stomach" =-.

20. Jim says:

EVIDENCE OF ME AUTHORISING THE TRANSFER OF MY DOMAINL

> Dear 1&1,
    > My partner, Rehan (cc’d on this email) will take over the running of
    my domain, GO! Smell the flowers and I request that you unlock the
    domain so I can transfer accordingly,
    > Warm Rgds,
    > Jim.
    > On 1/24/09, Customer Care 1&1 Internet Ltd.
    wrote: Customer ID: 11260964
    > Dear Jim Wheat,
    > This is a friendly reminder about the forthcoming automatic domain
    > renewal for the listed domains of your contract 9480507 due to
    > expire
    > in 42 days that is on 07 March 2009
    > gosmelltheflowers.com
    > The automatic renewal ensures that your 1&1 hosting services will
    > continue uninterrupted. No action is necessary on your part.
    > For a smooth renewal, please make sure that the credit card details
    > recorded in your 1&1 Control Panel are correct and up-to-date. To
    verify
    > your credit card details, please:

• Fertile Fish says:

I hope you didn’t give him your credit card details……….

We now know the mettel of this man! THEIF!

21. Jim says:

Plus the day the notification email came into me confirming the transfer has been done, in good faith:

Rehan yar Khan to me
    show details Mar 10 Reply

Domain transfer done.
    Rehan

———- Forwarded message ———-
    From:
    Date: 2009/3/9
    Subject: Domain Transfer Confirmation
    To: rehan@india.com

24/7 Sales & Support: (480) 505-8877

Dear Zarina Khan,

Congratulations! The transfer request for the following domain name(s) has been completed:

GOSMELLTHEFLOWERS.COMIf this domain(s) is not currently hosted,follow the instructions below to change your domain name servers to our parked servers. By doing so, you will avoid possible charges from your prior registrar and enable your domain’s new features now that your transfer is complete.

Log in to modify your name servers. To safely log in:
    Go to the GoDaddy.com home page and log in with your username or customer number and password.
    From the My Products list, you can manage, renew, and upgrade your products and services.

If you are going to be hosting the domain(s) with GoDaddy.com, once the hosting account is set up there will be no need to modify the name servers.

It is also important that you verify that your contact information is complete and up to date. Failure to keep your contact data current may result in the cancellation of your domain name.

If you need any further assistance or technical support, call us at (480) 505-8877 day or night, or email us at support@godaddy.com. We appreciate your business!

Sincerely,
    GoDaddy.com

P.S. Learn how to improve your business, exchange ideas and share your expertise, connect with Internet entrepreneurs and more at our new online business community, Go Daddy Connections. Log on today!

Make your domain registration private! Protect yourself against identity theft, spam & more.
    Learn more

Take 10% off your order.*
    Simply enter gdbb22 in your shopping cart or mention the offer code when you call
    (480) 505-8877.

Tell Me How To:
    Use FREEdomain locking
    Manage my free hosting** account
    Get the most out of my domain name
    Set up my free Quick Blogcast
    Get a domain for only $1.99***

Prices are current as of 3/8/2009, and may be changed without notice.
    *Not applicable to premium domains, bulk domain purchases, discounted domain products, Sunrise/Landrush domain registrations, .ME domain registrations, discounted memberships or maintenance plans; additional disk space and bandwidth renewals, custom page layouts, custom headers, Go Daddy Marketplace™, posters or gift cards. Discount reflected in your shopping cart – cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or promotion. Offer subject to change without notice.
    **Free hosting, photo album and blog services are ad-supported. Ad-supported Web sites contain
    relevant online advertising on a small portion of the site, but DO NOT include obtrusive pop-up ads.
    ***Plus ICANN fee of 20 cents per domain name year. Visit our Web site for details.
    Copyright © 2009 GoDaddy.com, Inc.. All rights reserved.

Reply ForwardRehan is not available to chat

HOW DO I GET MY STORY TO GO! DADDY?

22. Tim says:

I still don’t get how the domain got actually “stolen”? Did the thief have the password to the domain registrar account or what?

• Jim says:

Please read above Tim and it’ll make sense!

I was assured shifting from 1&1 to GO!Daddy would mean a better, quicker service and that 1&1 were unreliable…

I wisgh I’d have stuck with 1&1 and hope GO! Daddy do the right thing…

• RYK says:

Tim, nothing was stolen. Anyone with a bit of background in setting up and managing a domain will understand this. Jim has copied the content from the partnership and has slandered my name, for what benefit, only he knows.

Erm, RYK The Thief,

I wonder if you telling good Mumbo Jumbo Jim that the site was 100% yours, you possessed the ‘keys’ and wanted US$60K increasing at US$10K per month to give MJ Jim his rightful access to his domain is a massive influencer of the overriding opinion of commentors here?

Also how do you explain re-registering the domain under a false address? ie Gibralter.

Now therein must lie a fabulous fairytale…….

The fact of the matter is that you have behaved in an unethical, despicable manner and tried to rip MJ Jim off.

Fortunately, it has backfired on you.

Excellent!

Give it up, you lost and that is what is motivating you to add lies to theivery now.

Not that I ever did use Flora2000 before, I most certainly wouldn’t ever now. I may only be one potential customer of your business, but I am one you will never get, and be assured this is a story that will be told and retold.

I hope you enjoyed your brief bullying triumph as much as I am enjoying telling you:

YOU LOST!

Snigger snigger snigger arf arf snigger!

• RYK says:

Thanks for your support FF. I don’t hope to win you over, nor is that my aim. I am sure you will realise the truth for yourself over the years as you continue to associate with Jim.

Well I shall certainly steer clear of associating with you RYK The Thief

• Fertile Fish says:

Oh yeah, but I am very interested to year your justification for re-assigning the domain address to a false one?

Come on, Mr-I’ve-Done-Nothing-Nothing-Wrong-It’s-All-Mumbo-Jumbo-Jim’s-Fault, doooooooo tell…….!

Snigger snigger snigger!

23. Welcome everyone to the new world of Smell The Coffee! As far as I know, Jim has owned and been passionate for the Go Smell the Flowers! blogging concept, and I can fully vouch for his authenticity and ownership of the domain name.

Regardless of what agreements were made or broken, to demand payment like this is just not on. There are ways of resolving these things and holding a domain name “ransom” is definitely not the way.

RYK and Jim – how best can you both resolve this amicably, so we can all resume the flower smelling?!

And no more public mud-slinging :-)

Jim, what does Emma have to say about all this now?
    .-= Arvind Devalia´s last blog ..How to be Best of Friends with Everyone! =-.

• RYK says:

Arvind, no question of holding anything to ransom.
      I simply made the offer that if he wanted me to give up my 30% equity in the project, he should buy out the domain and servers for a price. Nothing wrong in that. Instead Jim wants to term this as “theft”.

• Jim says:

Hi Arvind and at least we met through GO! Smell the flowers – I well remember your posts about Regents Park right at the start at flowers, before RYK was involved….

Thanks for agreeing to keep on here at coffee and sorry for the name change although let’s face it – it does what it say’s on the label from day 1.

I pleaded to RYK at Emirates Golf Club last week, even bought the tea and he wanted me to buy him a cigar!

I was told ‘it’s business’ and that ‘I should foucs on the UAE market only’ and ‘get rid of all my global contributors and that the www is a myth – business can only be grown locally – not around the world.

He admitted to me the domain name was only worth less than $200 but it was ‘ the principal’.

I beg to differ – I love the diversity and borders that the www breaks down and how can the CEO of a floral delivery service tut-tut the world wide web?

It is beyond me – the more the merrier, the further we reach the better!

24. Folks, maybe we can resolve this by following the example of “Frankie Goes to Hollywood” – Two Tribes:-

.-= Arvind Devalia´s last blog ..How to be Best of Friends with Everyone! =-.

• Svasti says:

Clearly this is about money and bad blood.

Both parties appear to be emotionally invested, but honestly RYK is coming off as the less honest of the two.

Somehow I don’t think easy platitudes and positive thinking are going to resolve this one…

RYK refuses to see his actions as anything but ‘just’ whereas most other people will see them as shifty business practices. And theft.

Hopefully he’ll just bugger off before too long and he and Jim can go their seperate ways.

25. Purple13 says:

Hi Jim – all the old regulars from ‘the other site’ and newcomers.

Sorry I haven’t chipped in before (publicly – good to see GSTC up and running Jim) but I’ve had to endure a sudden weekend visit to hospital – surgery etc and now my right arm is very painful as I slowly recover from surgery so typing is a slow process….

Jim – good luck with GSTC – I’m looking forward to a peppermint tea fueled journey of delights and discovery along the way.

Nobody ever won a public argument so best move on and prove to others with your success…

Jonathan.

P.S the domain registration is stll questionable and if one felt like pursuing the matter, I know the registrant bodies take a dim view of domains being ‘held to ransom’.
    .-= Purple13´s last blog ..Photo Gifts – how do you do that? =-.

26. Emma Wheat says:

I would ask though, that you do not post comments on my behalf.

I wish you the best of luck with GSTC.

Emma, as in your Ex wife and not the imposter above :)

• Svasti says:

Why is this comment being repeatedly posted?

• Emma W (II) says:

Ermmm, well this is a bit embarrassing to say the least. In the manner of Sparticus and Brian, I’m Emma W. Another one. Married to one of your contributors, Jim. Sorry to Emma W (i) .. I had no idea. Best I get myself a nickname fast, eh?

• RYK says:

Probably just another one of Jim and his million Frankensteins, attacking people on the site, posing as supporters, just whatever he feels like today. As the real Emma pointed out to me, this site is about anything but the real healing it was meant to be for.

• Emma W says:

RYK, wind your neck in. I made no attack in either of my comments and I can assure you, am not “posing” as anything. I have apologised to Emma Wheat for the confusion, but can assure you that I am no less than real myself.

27. Jim,

If he is holding a domain name that should rightfully be yours in bad faith then it is not GoDaddy that you should be in touch with. It is the ICANN, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. They are the ones that GoDaddy (and all other registrars) lease the right from to lease domain names to individuals. It is a process called a “domain name dispute”. I don’t want to post links in the comment since that might trigger a spam filter, but if you want to drop me a line I can point you in the right direction.

You do have rights in this matter, and it’s not something that GoDaddy themselves can really make a decision on. Keep faith, there is plenty of hope in this one for you, I promise. :)

28. Deep Ganatra says:

Hi again guys,

my comments are gonna be short as I am posting from my mobile.

I hold great respect for both Rehan and Jim but after checking the archived Whois records, I am left with no words

the info clearly shows that the domain belonged to Jim.

Hope this gets sorted out soon.

Regards,
    Deep

• Jim says:

Thanks for sharing this Deep…

• RYK says:

Deep, the domain hosting and name belongs to the partnership, not to any one individual. That is the whole point. To have copied the content from GSTF servers to a new domain is wrong. Jim should have sorted out the issue with his partners instead of copying all the content and hosting it on a new domain and then posting claiming that it was stolen.

You know better than anyone else that GSTF is being hosted on the same servers for over a year now, so where is the question of me stealing anything. If anything, Jim has copied the content of GSTF to GSTC without permission from the partners.

RYK,

You resigned from the project, gave me all equity back and fired Deep on 1st July.

He was free to work with me!

You wished us good luck with the project and wanted no part in it.

Then you changed your mind and insisted on keeping the 30% but with no further involvement!!!

GO! figure…and please don’t be tempted to call Deep with threatening phone calls and demanding access to GO! Smell the coffee…I wouldn’t put it past you.

Come on, treat others like humans, don’t bully.

I for one won’t be.

Deep this clip is dedicated to you my brave friend:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugR-Iyp-e1k

• Deep Ganatra says:

Just a clarification. Rehan was pretty cool over the phone. Nothing threatening or anything like that. :)

let’s work out towards towards resolving this issue

I will go through all the comments and reply tomorrow from the computer.

• RYK says:

What needs to be kept in perspective is that Jim was never the sole owner of gosmelltheflowers.com ; to call it “his” domain is misleading. The domain and the content belongs to the partners.

No one has stolen anything from Jim. Nothing like that can occur. The domain and the servers were transferred to the partnership quite sometime back and were being managed by Deep. Infact, as part of my financial commitments to the partnership, I have been paying for the domain, the servers and Deep’s services.

I would not have entered into this discussion had Jim started his own site. But since he has decided to slander my name in this public forum, I need to clarify publicly what has indeed occurred and shed some light on how Jim operates.

29. Emma Wheat says:

That’s funny Jim,

I remember taking the photo in my Mum’s garden while trying out my new camera!

You must be thinking about another photo . . .

• Jim says:

I thought it was the floating flowers in the pot at the Samui Spa, Em? Oooops.

Either way, your avatar, your camera and I know it’s you.

What a day!

30. uncle cyril says:

Boring the funny thing is for all the hippy ideal its all about money. Shows all involved for the hypocrites they are. RYK I warned my brother that you were a shyster and again I am proved right. I think you all deserve each other to attampet to ransom a site which is worth zip is deplorable. Jim if you had any cajones you’d have put him all over the place in dubai. You haven’t you didn’t lie with dogs get fleas. Either wayt this is the end of this site and project as its been exposed a a money making scheme. Sorry but therew is no equity in this.

31. uncle cyril says:

So post up the ip address of the impostor

As requested:

The fake Emma W

Emma W
      86.96.227.89
      Submitted on 2009/07/06 at 2:15pm

Emma W
      ApproveUnapprove | Spam | Delete | Edit | Quick Edit | Reply
      My domain held hostage for $60,000 – Wake up, Smell the coffee!
      102 #

A Dubai domain address for sure – not sure where though – doesn’t match with anyone who has commented before!?!

• Emma W (II) says:

32. thestickman says:

If the hijacker is using Google AdSence and you want to foil his bid to profit from this, go to his site and repeatedly click the ads! Do this about 50 times on the same ad and Google will drop the site from the program, permanently.
    .-= thestickman´s last blog ..Gila Monster, Venomous Reptile of the Southwest U.s =-.

33. Jim says:

@ DEEP – I’m glad Rehan wasn’t threatening over the phone to you but thought he’d call.

Just answer me this -did he ask for unauthorised access / password to this site – GO!Smell the coffee?

34. Grantus says:

The Whois entry posted by Deep is very interesting.

Did the original registrant, Jim Wheat, give express permission to GoDaddy to change the Registrant Name to GO India.

If not, then how did Rehan manage to get the name change past the Administrators at GO Daddy?

35. uncle cyril says:

Who cares?? This is hilariously mundane- when is the book out again? Oh its not cos nobody is interested in a tale of two self centred peoples holiday as for ryk just give him. A dig as for a poll who cares????????

36. Grantus says:

The Whois entry posted by Deep is very interesting.

Did the registrant, Jim Wheat, give express formal permission to change the Registrant Name to “Confirm India”.

If not then surely something fishy has been going on with Rehan and / or GoDaddy.

37. RYK says:

Jim,
    good luck with GoSmellTheCoffee and all your future endeavors. I do not wish to publicly or privately slander you. I have posted my view and I think Emma has also clarified her position.

You were never the sole owner of GSTF and its wrong that you claim to be so. It is worse that you claim that I have stolen it from you. It is very sad that you have resorted to such slander.

Our contributing founders and regular visitors by now have read through allegations and counter allegations and must decide if they would like to continue to associate with you:
    1. GTSF was never solely yours as you have claimed. It belongs to all 3 of us.
    2. There is no question of stealing any domain. The domain belongs to the partnership as do the servers. The servers are in the same place as they have been for years; and the domain since March 2009. How could it have been stolen?
    3. Yes, there was an offer for you to buy it out, but instead you have copied the content of GSTF and placed it on a new server and made false claims. This is wrong, criminal and unethical. If you had something to sort out you should have done so privately with your partners, instead of copying all the content over to a new domain and slandering my name.

• Fertile Fish says:

Kettle / Pot etc etc etc.

RYK The Thief, dear oh dear…….!

• Gsreth in Thsiland says:

Again, slander is spoken, libel is written. sort it out RYK old boy.
      This legal advice is free, but should you use it then I will demand a fee of US$ 1 and use it to light a big fat herbal cigarette whilst laughing at you all for taking so seriously a zero value interweb site that is populated with content by volunteers at no charge.
      Go! get a firm foothold in reality, all of you.

38. Hi Jim,

I thought that I would add my two cents to the “discussion.” Nothing profound as with my health I couldn’t keep up with the posts, but I did read and skim most comments.

I just wanted you to know that I am saddened that this couldn’t be worked out between RYK and you. That being said, I support GSTC and you.
    .-= Clinically Clueless´s last blog ..My 42 Day Adventure!!! =-.

39. thestickman says:

Yeah well I don’t really imagine that anyone would really do that, but one always hears of tales of AdSence blogs that are ‘killed’ by Google because of this.
    Myself, I don’t know the facts and cannot trust either side to tell all. My opinion does not matter.

I think the ‘ransom’ or ‘buy-out’ option (depending upon whose side you listen to) is a bit tacky.

I hope you both can settle this. I really don’t care to read any further on the matter.

40. Guys, there has been enough slandering and allegations here on this post to last us all a lifetime.

Jim / Rehan – I am saddened and disappointed that Flowers has come to this after what started off so promisingly over 2 years ago.

You both have a viewpoint and your positions have clearly got more entrenched in a sea of emotions and accusing counter words.

It is surely time to draw a close to this and move on – there are more important things in life than calling each other names and fighting over something which frankly is not worth anything right now!

I suggest you both and others who visit here learn from this episode and move on in your lives.

Whatever really happened is between the two of you, and perhaps Emma earlier on whilst she was still involved,and let it be there.

This is now about being pragmatic, taking a step back, cooling off and moving on from here.

Jim – maybe it is time you closed this post for comments. And we can all start smelling the coffee and/or flowers, as the case may be. There is little more to be gained now from this very public vendetta, no matter how justified it might be.

You have made your point and clearly ruffled a few feathers. Now GO! and make a huge success of the Coffee site.

Rehan – whatever your true intentions and legitimate grievances, I can see where you are coming from and as I said only you, Jim and Emma know the real truth.

I can sympathise with both of you and Emma too, as what started of as a wonderful idea has come to this.

Time for all of us to move on, folks.

41. Guys, there has been enough slandering and allegations here on this post to last us all a lifetime.

Time for all of us to move on, folks.
    .-= Arvind Devalia´s last blog ..How to be Best of Friends with Everyone! =-.

• RYK says:

Arvind, I would not have gotten involved in the whole episode but Jim has done some nasty things:
      1. He has copied all the content from GoSmellTheFlowers to this site. This is outright stealing!

2. He has locked me out of gosmelltheflowers.com

3. He has placed a redeicred on gosmelltheflowers.com to this site

4. He has called me names and a thief

What would you do here? Just let things be?

I have no issue with gosmellthecoffee, gosmellthetea or anything else Jim ventures. Let him remove the content from this site and roll back the other points above.
      .-= RYK´s last blog ..3 important reasons Bing is good for us =-.

Oh poor you Mr Innocent!

You really, truly, genuinely are RYK The Thief.

Crocodile tears there old bean, you brought this on yourself and you know it.

I am still awaiting your justification for falsifying the domain registration address in Gibraltar.

You haven’t made any comment in this regard, why?

Because it will expose you for being the liar that you are.

Tell you what though, you could always appease your terrbly hurt self and all this disgust and anger aimed at you by adding another ten grand on the asking price for the 30% you voluntarily gave up.

I wonder if you’ll get it?

Hmmmmmmm…….. snigger snigger snigger

*Bursts in to room

Wahaaaay!! Where’s the party!?!?!

*Backs out of the door realising that it’s a wake.

For a site that does clearly look like it’s been stolen.

Time to move on now though with Go! Smell the Coffee and a perfect opportunity to get rid of all the old shite that was in the filter.

*Bursts in to room

Wahaaaay!! Where’s the party!?!?!

*Backs out of the door realising that it’s a wake.

For a site that does clearly look like it has been stolen.

44. Svasti says:

Oh my dear Thief,

If the domain was/is a shared property, then what have you done by changing the ownership details, changing the password etc? Am I right that Jim and Emma no longer have passwords for accessing the domain?

Is this not stealing? Most people here think it is!!

If the project is worth nothing and there’s no revenue in it, how can you justify your random figure of $60K an additional $10K each month. Where did you pull that one from? A cereal box?

Actually, if you now are the only one with access to the domain, surely that means you owe both Jim and Emma money, according to your twisted logic?

And let’s see, if you had a 30% share worth $60K (according to you)… how much does that mean you owe your other two ‘partners’ who no longer have access to the domain?

As for your crazed allegation that Jim has stolen the content… ummm, exactly how many articles have you written here? Umm… gee… must be at least… a tiny handful! Most of the content belongs to Jim and the other contributors.

So… who did he “steal” the content from exactly? Oh wait, you said… the project… which you claim is jointly owned by the three of you (and not just you)?

And that’s somehow “wrong”, compared to you changing the domain ownership details to your own? Explain that to me in a way that makes sense??

Ummm, if you’re keeping the domain so no one else can use it, best you pay up to Jim and Emma, I’m thinking…

• RYK says:

Svasti, it is infact me who has been locked out by Jim! I do not have access to GoSmelltheFlowers.com
      Please do check with him if I have changed any passwords!

Please visit gosmelltheflowers and notice the 1st post, which Jim has posted. He has done that and locked everyone else out!

• Svasti says:

Last I checked, GSTF is redirecting to a Go India website… I’m sure Jim would do that to his own website!!

Stop lying and get lost.

• Jim says:

Rehan is correct – I’ve accessed GSTF with the master admin name and password that I started the site with and posted with a closing off statement in comments.

That was until 5 minutes ago – I’ve just had an email notifying me that the main admin password has changed:

Go! Smell the Flowers to me
          show details 12:52 PM (0 minutes ago) Reply
          Password Lost and Changed for user: admin

Meaning I cannot access GO! Smell the flowers any longer.
          If it wasn’t for re-directing all the content I’d have lost 3 years work.

So the flowers have died for me, for the time being.

Time to get a coffee going!

45. Svasti says:

I’ve met liars like you before, Theif.

Interesting how your story changes just a little bit each time you repeat your rhetoric and lies, while never actually showing any PROOF of anything.

46. Jim says:

Thanks for all your comments – light, professional, personal or otherwise. The point has been made and this is huge learning for me.

As a result of private emails stemming from the post on GO! Smell the coffee I now know the appropriate channels to take my case to the appropriate regulatory bodies and will share them here.

The post was intended to raise awareness of how important it is to protect your ideas, brand rights, intellectual copyright, domain names and such like and if it has acheived this then so be it.

As the original registrant of http://www.gosmelltheflowers.com, I did not give express permission for Rehan / GoDaddy to change the Registrant Name from Jim Wheat to GO! India or change the country from England to Gibraltar rendering the WHO IS address as false.

The GO! Daddy change department is helping me with my case as is:

ICANN’s page on a dispute policy:

The National Arbitration Forum:

http://domains.adrforum.com/ (list of their supplemental rules found here: http://domains.adrforum.com/main.aspx?itemID=631&hideBar=False&navID=237&news=26 )

The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO):

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains (list of their supplemental rules found here: http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/rules/supplemental/index.html )

Rules pertaining to all approved dispute providers:

In March 2006 I took out the trademark for the phrase ‘GO! Smell the flowers’ – the title of the book – plus the ISBN number.

It is registered to my home address, along with the domain name. Proof of brand design, blog content and comments during the last 3 years are critical hence the content move from flowers to coffee.

If this is enough for Rehan to return http://www.gosmelltheflowers.com to me then so be it. more importantly if it stops anyone else being a victim of similar cases then even better.

Deep was no longer required at GSTF and as per Rehan’s instructions was welcome deal with me directly. Rehan donated his 30% equity back, in an email directly from him as he confirmed he was no longer interested in the project – unless, unless we got ’10 times the traffic’.

Time to move on.

People have enough going on in their lives and this community has started with a wake up call, doing what is says on the label.

I’ll register my case through the appropriate channels, learn from it and focus my energy and passion getting the coffee going and crack on – we’ve a community to run!

With an excellent team of contributors, fresh blood about to be brought on board and no commercial pressure it’s time to wipe the slate clean and to crack on.

47. RYK says:

IMPORTANT: ALL VISITORS PLEASE NOTE

In order to gain complete control of GoSmellTheFlowers, Jim Wheat “took away” the equity of his partners Emma Wheat and Myself. He then locked us out of GoSmellTheFlowers, copied all the content to this site GoSmellTheCoffee; and inorder to win sympathy of all contributors cooked up a story of how “his” site had been stolen.

While we are no longer pursuing GoSmellTheFlowers, I would like to share with you how we have been treated and hope you do indeed Smell The Coffee before contributing to this site.

Rehan

48. Jim says:

OH DEAR, I THOUGHT WE’D MOVED ON RYK – AREN’T YOU EFFORTS BETTER FOCUSED ON FLOGGING FLOWERS?

GSTF IS WORTH THE SQUARE ROOT OF 0 ANYWAY.

NOW AT LEAST.

WE’RE SMELLING THE COFFEE NOW BUT FOR THE RECORD FOR ALL TO SEE AND TO ALL VISITORS TO GO! SMELL THE COFFEE:

BELOW THESE CAP LOCK LETTERS IS AN EMAIL FROM REHAN & I THAT WAS SENT TO EMMA LAYING OUT THE EQUITY RULES OF GSTF.

REHAN SUGGESTED THE ‘SLIDING SCALE OF EQUITY’ AS A FAIR WAY OF MEASURING INPUT / CONTRIBUTIONS WITH REWARD.

REHAN HANDED HIS 30% EQUITY BACK TO ME LAST MONTH AND CONFIRMED TO ME AND HIS STAFF AT FLORA 2000 HE WAS ‘ NO LONGER INTERESTED IN THE PROJECT’ AND TO ME THAT HE WAS ‘ DONATING HIS 30% EQUITY BACK TO ME’

HE THEN CHANGED HIS MIND.

THEN TOLD ME HE WAS TAKING THE 30% BACK BUT WITH NO CONTRIBUTION AND THAT I WAS TO DEAL WITH TECH ISSUES MYSELF.

WHEN I REACTED WITH ‘YOU CAN’T YOU ALREADY DONATED IT BACK’ HE THEN SAID….

Reply |Rehan yar Khan to me
    show details Jun 21 Reply

No game Jim, you have the audacity to write such an email ! I own the GSTF domain and the servers, or have you forgotten that? If you want the GSTF domain from me, you can pay me $50,000. Price goes up $10,000 every month starting July 1st 2009.
    Good luck with your project, and if you ever need the domain, let me know. I’ll keep it alive infinetly on my servers, but am happy to sell it to the highest bidder.

- Show quoted text -
    Rehan

AND THE EQUITY EMAIL TO EMMA AS AGREED BY REHAN AS A FAIR WAY OF HOLDING ONTO EQUITY / OR LOSING IT DEPENDING ON EFFORT:

Jim Wheat to Emma, Rehan
    show details May 6 Reply

Dear Em,

Thanks for your recent reply.

I’ve discussed with Rehan and we have agreed on the following offer, he is cc’d in on this business based email.

GSTF will either become a business or will die out – if it survives it will be a brand that rewards effort.

With Mike & A/C going there a great opportunity to bring on female UAE based writers, for example, a life coaching
    section, travel, food and writing that makes people stop and think as more and more people join GSTF. I’m aware you’ve
    collected new life coaching cards recently from the designers – why not a set of GSTF cards as well if you’re still keen to
    be involved, pushing on a daily basis?

I can take most of this on board as I have done from day 1 but will need support, therefore:

90% shareholders propose the following to you to either accept and give input or decline and walk away:

You have 10% equity to either keep through measurable effort or to lose – it’s entirely in your hands.

Likewise if I stop I lose equity, as does Rehan with technical – same for any other investors or people who deserve equity based
    on exceptional merit or talent.

The bottom line is you have 2% per month to lose or gain depending on what you do month on month.

This will be offered to other active contributors or put back into the pool distributed 60% Jim, 30% Rehan.

To buy you out of something worth zero is free and shows that you’d be prepared to let go.

Your call – if no action with what you bring to the table then you’ll hold on July 1st:

10% if you commit to a minimum level that we all agree – this must come from you as it’s evident

you aren’t prepared to be given direction, minimum post levels, bringing others on board etc – I’m tired of
    asking.

What are you prepared to put into GSTF online?

If nothing then you will lose 2% if your input continues as a drop in, post once a week, comment 3 times per week -
    this cannot merit GSTF online equity.

12 % if you do more than we agree as a minimum to maintian your equity with KPI’s that you suggest.

So 8% on July 1st – if no measurable effort is laid out and converted from you – on it goes reviewed very month so if it

stays as it then in November you own 0% of GSTF online community.

This isn’t a threat – it’s a fact that you have equity to either hold, lose or grow and it’s your call.

The book rights remain 50% ours jointly, as was always the case.

Conclusion

Over to you – if you’re not prepared to bring anything to the table then so be it, 2% will be re-distributed from July 1st.

This is a business and I’m prepared to continue to be obsessed about and want to be fair about future equity.

I can’t take the content and writers myself and am willing to give equity to new comers who put the effort in.

Please, over to you – it’s your call.

Let us know at your earliest what you propose to bring to the GSTF table moving forward.

Cheers,

Jim & Rehan

SO I’M NO IN A POSITION TO OFFER CONTRIBUTING COFFEE SMELLERS EQUITY BASED CONTRIBUTIONS IF THEY CHOSE TO TAKE IT AND ALREADY HAVE THEM ON BOARD WITH MORE TO FOLLOW!

RIGHT,

COFFEE ANYONE??

49. Carl says:

Well, as a sometime reader of Go Smell the Flowers, and someone who had been interested in reading the book, I have to say this thread has disgusted me. All that talk about loving one another, group hugs, making the world a better place, but when it comes down to it all…

I will be removing the RSS feed from my reader, unsubscribing from email lists, and saying goodbye to this mockery.

• Jim says:

Sorry it got to this Carl – thanks for dropping in from blogcatalog – I aim to get this place back to what it was….

Jim

50. Hey Jim…sorry for all the drama, drama and more drama you are going through in relation to “flowers”….but rest assured I’ll follow you where ever you decide to go!
    .-= Mighty Morgan´s last blog ..Another Path… =-.

Hiya mighty…
      Loving your profile pic on Facebook!!
      Hoping to be in New York later this year and would love to meet up…
      Thanks for dropping by and glad all is well with you and your family…